Questions about the bleach dip procedure

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

iheartbettas

AC Members
Sep 9, 2010
Detroit Metro area, Michigan
Real Name
Bernie
I bought a couple of plants yesterday at my LFS and since I'd had snails with other plants I've purchased there, I decided to do the bleach dip procedure on these new plants. I made an approximate 5% bleach solution. (3 tablespoons bleach to 4 cups of water (64 tablespoons))

I dipped the new plants for 3 minutes, and then immediately into a warm water bath for about 10 minutes. I also rinsed them several times again since i was worried about residual bleach killing my fish.

Question #1: Am I doing the bleach dipping procedure correctly to kill snails?

Also, I dipped some italian vals that were growing algae on them in the bleach solution for about 2 minutes . I also rinsed these about 6 or 7 times in warm water.

Question: will the bleach kill the hair growing on these vals? The hair was still there when I put the vals back into the tank.

thanks for your expertise!

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I use 1 part bleach to 19 parts water. I give them a 1 minute soak and then rinse well. Never had issue with fish and tank water. If you are concerned, the addition of "Prime" to your tank will handle it. Measure and treat entire tank, although a good rinse should do the job. Leaves should not have a "slick feel" to them after being rinsed.

iheartbettas

AC Members
Sep 9, 2010
Detroit Metro area, Michigan
Real Name
Bernie
just a quick update on my plants. they turned out in horrible condition. the vals became a light green and started started not standing up straight. the water sprite also became very pale and the bottom of the plant started disintegrating.

I'm definitely not going to do any bleach dip, or if you do, just do a quick 5 second dip. I consider this a learning experience that didn't cost too much, but I tthink I'd rather deal with a few snails than kill plants intentionally.

spypet

AC Members
Jan 12, 2011
NY, 11375
1:20 bleach:water is a 1 minute dip.
5 seconds is pointless and
10 minutes will kill plants.

it's a VERY effective way to kill
algae and hitchhikers on plants.

if you have a very sensitive plant,
try using 1 minute of H2O2 3%.

as for learning experiences, you might want
to read forums before experimenting on plants,
as bleach dipping topic pop up almost weekly here.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store