Dumb Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

buffalobeal

AC Members
Aug 20, 2010
Tucson
I am new to live plants in an aquarium. I just got a 25 gallon tank and stocked a few plants in it (fish to come soon). I just need to know if the plants will get the light they need if its passing through the glass top. I'm guessing its like the UVB light I use for my turtles in that the glass filters out what they need from the light. Is the same true for plant lights? :huh: Thanks.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
many people with planted tanks have glass lids on them, including me and my three planted tanks.

you just need to make sure water deposits and such don't build up and block the light from reaching the plants.

i take my glass lids to the sink about once a month and run warm water over them while scraping with the blade from an exacto knife. be careful! you can scratch the glass easily if you scrape the wrong way, and it's very easy to cut yourself too.

ghostgirl

AC Members
Jan 27, 2011
Maryland
Real Name
Jessica
I have a glass "plank" for my light to sit on so it doesn't get sprayed by any water and my plants get all the light they need

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store