Aquascaping in existing aquarium?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tara777

AC Members
Dec 14, 2010
Is this possible? 55g with 19 cardinals, 9 serpaes and 6 redeye sweethearts doing well. Have a few plants, but would love to create a more interesting aquascape. It's a low tech tank. It's hard to find some nice looking driftwood.
What would be the best plant to attach to driftwood? Could I add to the existing substrate? All this without stressing the little community? :)

Vince G.

AC Members
Dec 27, 2010
Roselle Park, NJ
It's definitely possible. I'm in process of aquascaping my 92 Gal. Bowfront now. It has been running for 7 years. Luckily, I have lots of driftwood, but I have recently started attaching much of my planted java fern and anubis to it, and it has been growing well. Here are some pics of it so far:
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243650

Java Ferns, Anubis, and African Ferns (Bolbitis heudelotii) grow well when attached to driftwood or rocks, and all are pretty undemanding when it comes to light requirements. Java Moss does well also, but it can need a little more light, and can even take over a tank if given the right conditions.

tara777

AC Members
Dec 14, 2010
Thank you Vince, that is very helpful and your tank pics are quite stunning, I'm encouraged. :)

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
java fern and anubias would be my top picks for a low light/low maintenance tank.

you can superglue these plants to driftwood or rocks prior to putting them in the tank. just blot the roots/rhizomes of the plants dry and hold them down where you want on the wood or rock while dabbing superglue around the roots/rhizome. wait for the glue to dry (i wait ten minutes to be sure) and plunk in tank! if you find the leaves getting a little dry while waiting for the glue to set you can mist them with water.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
I would add java moss, crypts and vals to the list of possibilities for a low tech tank. They grow well in almost any light, and the java moss can be attached to driftwood or rock work.

Scaping an inhabited tank is definitely doable. Just work slowly and all should be well. I have gone though periods of rescaping once per week without any noticeable effects on my fish which are considered to be on the sensitive side.

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
with not having any cories or other bottom feeders in the tank it will be easier to re-scape with the fish in. when i'm moving plants or wood in my 55 i'm always on the lookout for wigglebutts 'underfoot'!

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
"Wigglebutt", R U talking about UR husband again?
lmao! no, talking about cories. they are the epitomy of 'wigglebutt', lol.

as for a husband, no thanks! i already have one kid....... :rofl:

Sigrid

AC Members
Jan 8, 2011
both hands in fish tank
Real Name
Bristlenose
Helllllllllo-ho,
I did aqua-scaping SAT + SUN, and I am beat. Combined 10g + 20G into a 30g. tank. I found all my beneficial snails in the gravel and mini Temminkii babies. Fatalities: 3 Guppies and 1 Temminkii dad - sad.

Tank looks nice, inmates smile and I am on a diet of Ibuprofen and wine.
Pics available soonish.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store