GBR Spawning Behavior?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NB_Aquatics

AC Members
Jan 17, 2011
SW Ohio
Real Name
Nick
I just recently got two pairs of GBR's. They are already showing signs of spawning already. One pair is cleaning off a rock, chasing away the panda corys, and the female has a "tube" showing behind the anal fin. What throws me off is that they are just juveniles, about 1.5 inches long, I'm guessing about 2.5-3 months old. Does this seem like spawning behavior to you? I've had these guys years back but i never had them breed this early. Try to get pictures tomorrow.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Yes. Very possible even at that size, even smaller, as size usually does not justify their maturity.

Good Luck!

NB_Aquatics

AC Members
Jan 17, 2011
SW Ohio
Real Name
Nick
Sounds like an excuse for another tank ;) Do the females always show that "tube"? I didn't remember this when i used to breed them, i know my bettas used too.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Absolutely!;) Once starts to breed, you may see ovipositor more often, sometimes more extended (ready).

NB_Aquatics

AC Members
Jan 17, 2011
SW Ohio
Real Name
Nick
I'm excited, its been way to long out of the hobby LOL, not expecting much to happen this time, never had a pair to get it right the first time. I was worried about the ph at first, it is at about 7.6, but i guess they are doing fine with it. :)

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
YOu are not the only one as Ive been completely out of f/w for many yrs myself. Participating in forums keep refreshing my memory otherwise all maybe lost with time.

Although some may adjust/breed in extreme conditions, that does not mean all will do well.

As mentioned on numerous postings, fish pushed to its limits, although seemed well, are more susceptible/vulnerable to mishaps.

Hope to see vid of Mom & Dad herding their brood soon! .

NB_Aquatics

AC Members
Jan 17, 2011
SW Ohio
Real Name
Nick
I just took a video, and a few pictures, can someone tell me how to post videos? No eggs yet that i can see, they are in a tight spot, but the male never leaves the site.

NB_Aquatics

AC Members
Jan 17, 2011
SW Ohio
Real Name
Nick
They have spawned! I had to get a closer look, i took the divider out, and sure enough there are about 80 eggs, a small spawn but good because i don't have tanks set up for them yet. I'm going to take pictures soon and make a new thread. Stay tuned!

Bubbles2112

Is someone behind me???
Jun 22, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Real Name
Barbara
:thumbsup: That is awesome!!! Sorry I can't help with attaching a video though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store