Where did you buy/refill your pressurized CO2?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

standardbyker63

AC Members
Dec 10, 2008
Bettendorf, IA
I'm currently in the process of getting my new 75g heavily planted tank up and running. The stand is almost finished so I'm going to start purchasing the equipment I need. Where have the rest of you AC members purchased your CO2 tanks and what size/price? I'm planning on going with a 10 lb tank. Locally there's several welding shops and distributors, as well as an Amerigas location I was planning on checking into. Anyone have better luck with an online purchase?

Thanks.

rockhoe14er

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
Richmond VA
Real Name
Sean
I got mine from a brewery store for 60 dollars but it was only a 5lbs tank. Craigslist can be a great place to fine a used one. A 10 lbs tank will cost around 75-100 dollars for a used one. At least those are the prices i seem to find in my area. You can get them refiled at a brewery store, hydroponic shop, and a place that refills fire extinguishers (this option is probably the cheapest).

standardbyker63

AC Members
Dec 10, 2008
Bettendorf, IA
How long does your 5# cylinder last you and on what size tank? I may end up going with that size if it will fit in the tank stand with the reg on it. If not, ill probably just go with the 10#. Also, am I correct in my understanding that the tanks are to be operated upright and not laying down? I believe they are filled with liquid CO2 that releases as a gas due to pressure changes, therefore laying it over for operation would vent the liquid? Or am I way off?

Thanks.

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris
I bought my new 10# one from aquariumplants.com. It has good prices.
I get it filled at airgas (airgas.com) for 20something dollars.

before you buy, make sure that your refill location refils your tank while you wait and isnt an exchange only place. No reason to buy a new shiny one if you will only have to trade it in an hour after you receive it in the mail.

Sigrid

AC Members
Jan 8, 2011
both hands in fish tank
Real Name
Bristlenose
Good morning standard,
Please take a look at question: about transporting the gas bottle safeley.
It is best to keep the bottle upright AND
as soon as your regulator is attached/installed/strewed onto the top of the bottle, MAKE sure that you bottle stays upright.

I ruined a open Dupla regulator when the bottle tipped over and liquid CO-2 went thru the regulator.

standardbyker63

AC Members
Dec 10, 2008
Bettendorf, IA
Thanks Sigrid. I just saw that thread. I'm familiar with the dangers of pressurized tanks. I'm a certified diver and during the certification classes they spent a lot of time drilling us on tank safety when the reg was installed. Just wasn't sure if CO2 was a gas that can be vented at any tank position or upright only. It's my understanding that they're meant for upright operation only.

Thanks.

Sigrid

AC Members
Jan 8, 2011
both hands in fish tank
Real Name
Bristlenose
Standard,
I have 2 questions for you in regards to to CO-2 regulators and indicators.
For many years I have been using a Dupla regulator on the one planted tank that I supplied with CO-2...no problem with the works, disconnecting or hooking up.

I just dug around in my aquarium equipment and unearthed a regulator from the "Aquarium Landscapes" Company in Ohio. While still living in MN I bought this regulator at one of our MAS auctions for $80, but so far never used it. It is #RMR Co-2 Regulator 320.

Do you know anything about that company and its products?
Do I need to know anything in addition to the Dupla experience for connecting this regulator to my 5 Lb. tank. (I noticed this unit on sale for $44). Wonder why it so cheap (Price new = $122).

The CO-2 drop counter I read about here very often is the same thing as my Dupla visiual indicator. I need to add a certain amount of tank water and then 2 drops of Dupla indicator fluid. Click the gadget together + back into the tank it goes.

What kind of indicator fluid is used in the American drop counter?
Please visit my Personal Gallery - CO-2 picture pages about my set up are there.
Thanks in advance for your help.
ta, ta.

Last edited:

rockhoe14er

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
Richmond VA
Real Name
Sean
How long does your 5# cylinder last you and on what size tank? I may end up going with that size if it will fit in the tank stand with the reg on it. If not, ill probably just go with the 10#. Also, am I correct in my understanding that the tanks are to be operated upright and not laying down? I believe they are filled with liquid CO2 that releases as a gas due to pressure changes, therefore laying it over for operation would vent the liquid? Or am I way off?

Thanks.
I have a 29 gallon tank. I believe this should last me around 8 months or so. However, if i had the room i would go for a 10 or a 20 lb tank because it almost cost the same to refill those tanks as it does for a 5.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store