INFORMATION OVERLOAD!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LizSagara

AC Members
Jan 31, 2011
Okay.... I have been doing research for two days now and I'm researching myself in circles... some say you need CO2 some say you don't.... some say you can't use shop lights some say you can
.... so here are a few of my questions.... but first some background info.

I am a Planted tank (insert word that implies a noobie is a master). I usually kill plants terrestrial or otherwise within a few weeks. I've finally gotten terrestrial plants down now I want to try aquatic. I have some Hornwort three unidentified thriving plants in a RCS shrimp tank. I use Flourish on this tank a little bit 1-2 a week and I have a "plant bulb" "full spectrum" light in a shop thing over the tank. I bought a 2.5 gallon tank and put a regular aquarium light over it and they started to turn brown so I put another aquarium light over it.... so I put a shop light with a plant bulb in it and they've gotten green again. I upgraded the system to a 10 gallon tank with a sponge filter (for shrimpy baby protection TOO BAD ALL OF MINE ARE FEMALE DARNIT!!!) and it seems to have gotten better. The hornwort is taking over (Came with the shrimp). The largest unidentified plant (bought in a tube at Petsmart before I knew better in July) and it's doubled in size in the two to three weeks its been in there. The paragraph is chaotic which explains my RCS tank very well. I don't know the first thing about plants.... other than water... nutrients.... light... possibly CO2?

Questions:

1. What's the minimum size I should attempt as a newbie... I'm aiming for 2.5 gallons up to 20 as I'm working with a tight budget.

2. What substrate should I use... I've found planting with sand is easier than gravel. Maybe a special plant substrate?

3. What plants should I use as a newbie that's looking to not use CO2 injection systems? I would like a variety but I would like it to look balanced tall plants foreground plants and carpeting plants?

4. What sort of lighting should I use... to simplify links to specific kits work well for me... I don't get the whole process of finding WPG and what not.

5. I get that Hardscape is like rocks and driftwood... but I really have no idea how to do any of this.... can someone give me some pointers?

6. Trimming? WHen should you trim how much and where? (as in stem... just leaves or whole plants...)

7. How do I make sense of what fertilizers and what not I need and how much of them...?

8. I want to do some fish and/ or shrimps. I want to do some Japonica shrimps some Otto's (if I get algae) and Killifish... COLORFUL killifish... any suggestions words of warning for this? I'd like to start with a 20 gallon tank...?

9. FIltration? What type of filtration is good for planted tanks with fish in it (won't be heavily stocked)? HOB? Sponge? Definitely not UG.

10. Anything else that's absolutely necessary to know for a beginner?

prober

AC Members
Dec 20, 2010
eastern Washington (the state)
Real Name
Jeff
Well, I would start with Anubias, java fern, crypts and vals. Those are all pretty easy to grow. Don't go crazy with the light unless you want to spend a ton on co2. Too much light and you will just get algae. That was a real nice light you found but you probably don't need four bulbs. If you can run half of them at a time then it might work, and you can use the other half once you get the hang of plants and are ready to move on to high light plants.

You don't need special substrate, sand works fine and if you need to you can get some root tabs for heavy root feeders.

co2 is not at all necesary. It may be if you go with higher light plants but I advise against that until you get the hang of balancing ferts and light. I am using DIY co2 but I am finding that it is tough even on a 20 gallon to get consistant levels. I have 2 bottles running a week apart now and it is just enough for higher plants. Before I started the second bottle I was starting to get an algae problem from the up and down co2 levels. Pressurised would be the way to go for consistent results.

Moderation is the key. Learn when and how much to fertilize and how much light and how long each day, usually no more than 8 hours or 2 4 hour sessions a day. Make slow changes and wait to see what happens. If you start to get algae don't wait to take action. It takes a couple weeks or longer for most changes to start to have an effect on algae.

There are plenty of plants that you can grow with just the standard shop light with daylight bulbs. The aquarium stores will charge you an arm and a leg for special bulbs that are the same as you can buy at the hardware store, just get the right spectrum and your plants will love it. 5000-7000k is good.

Vince G.

AC Members
Dec 27, 2010
Roselle Park, NJ
If you get Anubis and Java Fern, attach them to the driftwood or rocks instead of planting them. They grow better that way. I use regular gravel and root tabs, and my plants grow fine, so I'm sure that sand with root tabs will work fine also. I agree completely with prober about CO2 (and everything else!)

I started out with a 10 gallon tank when I was in high school, and tried to keep an Oscar in it! As you could imagine, it was more than a handful. Properly set up, a 10-20 gallon tank should be plenty of tank for you to learn about water parameters, fish compitability, growing plants, aquascaping, etc.

This whole thing is definitely addictive. I have a 92 Gallon tank now, and I'm seriously thinking of reparing the leak in my old 65 Gallon Hex in the Garage AND setting up my 20 gal. that is in my basement!

Enjoy it!

MoonstruckMuse

AC Members
Mar 4, 2007
Aughhhh, my post was eaten.

Step 1 - Take a deep breath! Haha. Congrats on the hornwort growing so well!

Step 2 - Take a look at the variety of tanks here on AC by going through tank logs/journals, and make a list of the things you like and don't like. Some people like lush jungles with splashes of color, others like minimalist grassy plains broken up with rocks. Some like twisty driftwood covered in moss, others like highly manicured mounds of plants, pearling away in high light and CO2. You get my point.
To start, I'd really suggest looking into low-light, low-tech set ups. Anubias, most mossies, java fern, and crypts will be able to stand a bit more abuse than other plants, and are handy learning tools for that reason.

You definitely don't need super high light and CO2 from the very beginning. As for substrate, sand is definitely better than gravel and will make planting easier... but I'd actually suggest going with a substrate marketed for planting. The difference is that there are a ton of nutrients in the soil already. Otherwise, you might end up dosing fertilizers frequently, and that can lead to algae problems before you get the hang of it. Think of it like this - you're trying to feed a pet cat, but not the chubby pet dog. You could put the food bowl on the floor, but then the dog might eat it before the cat (or at least, get some of the food). If you put the food bowl on the counter top, your cat can just hop up and leave the dog behind. Putting fertilizer in the water lets algae get a chance to use it - having fertilizer built into your soil lets your rooted plants, and only them, get the chance to use it.

When you think about raising plants, imagine it's like caring for any other organism. They have a few basic needs: water, air, food, and in the case of plants, light. Obviously the water is taken care of, haha. With a rich substrate, the plant can eat as much as it likes without you needing to worry about it. As for light and CO2, you can treat it like a different kind of food. If you're growing hornwort and you put tons of light over it, it's something like giving a toddler a GIANT buffet table, and you'll get a very full toddler who can't eat it all... and a herd of ants (algae) that are engulfing the table.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Bump for ya! Want you to get the benefit of the great plant people her on AC!!

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris
There is a ton of info depending on what you want to do. When you read a lot of stuff on the internet it doesnt state whetehr its a high tech or low tech tank.

Questions:

1. What's the minimum size I should attempt as a newbie... I'm aiming for 2.5 gallons up to 20 as I'm working with a tight budget.
I would suggest you get a 20 long or a standard 29

2. What substrate should I use... I've found planting with sand is easier than gravel. Maybe a special plant substrate?
Sand is easier but lacks nutrient benefit of plant specific substrate. This can be mediated with root tabs or Osmocote-cicles

3. What plants should I use as a newbie that's looking to not use CO2 injection systems? I would like a variety but I would like it to look balanced tall plants foreground plants and carpeting plants?
Anubias, java fern, corkscrew vals, crypts

4. What sort of lighting should I use... to simplify links to specific kits work well for me... I don't get the whole process of finding WPG and what not.
A standard T5 normal output (T5NO) bulb should be more than plenty on the 29. a standard T12 bulb would suffice on the 20 long

5. I get that Hardscape is like rocks and driftwood... but I really have no idea how to do any of this.... can someone give me some pointers?
Play around with things until they look okay. Take a picture, post it up. We will tell you if it sucks and how to make it better ;)

6. Trimming? WHen should you trim how much and where? (as in stem... just leaves or whole plants...)
Depends on the plant:
Anubias: Trim at the base of the Rhizeome (google rhizome). no real need to trim
Vals: you can trim the leaves but it will make a brown mark at where you cut (much like if you were to cut a 'spider plant'). They look good if you never trim though.
Crypt: cut at base, no need to trim usually
Java Fern: trim at rhizome again. Again, no real need to trim.

7. How do I make sense of what fertilizers and what not I need and how much of them...?
Low tech tank might need no fertilizers. Use the when you think you need them.

8. I want to do some fish and/ or shrimps. I want to do some Japonica shrimps some Otto's (if I get algae) and Killifish... COLORFUL killifish... any suggestions words of warning for this? I'd like to start with a 20 gallon tank...?
Dont get a fish for the purpose of eating algae. Generally you should never give the conditions to grow algae, and in that case you will starve your fish. supplement your ottos with veggies and pellets.

9. FIltration? What type of filtration is good for planted tanks with fish in it (won't be heavily stocked)? HOB? Sponge? Definitely not UG.
HOB would be fine for a simple setup. Canister if you got the $$

10. Anything else that's absolutely necessary to know for a beginner?
Rest, relax, it really is not that complicated.
If you ever decide to upgrade. Upgrade lights LAST! upgrading lights first will make you want to throw your tank out the window.

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris
Here are some updates....

I will get this for light: http://www.ahsupply.com/36-55w.htm

I'm debating Rams or Killies or both with some shrimp or ottos....
Dont purchase your light before you know what size tank you are going to use, what type of plants you are going to grow etc. Unless you want huge headaches.

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
1. I would go for a 20gal long
2. Sterilized playsand (homedepot or Lowes) rinse, rinse and re-rinse.
3. Anubias nana (tied to wood or rock) Water-sprite, Java Ferns (tied to wood or rock). Crypts, vals.
4. This is what you want...Normal output Strip light
http://cgi.ebay.com/SolarMax-30-T5-A...item45f14d3970
5. Wood and rocks...do a dry test run and place them out you like it. Boil your driftwood for several hours to get the brownish color out. Clean the rocks with hot water. Look at pics on the web to find ideas.
6. I would stray away from stems right now, but if you must. Trim when needed, like when they get to long and there arent leave towards the bottom of the plant. You trim to get that bushy look.
7. Stick with Flourish and Excel for now.
8. I have always said the 2 best fish for a planted tank is Cardinals and Rummynose.
9. HOB for sure..Not a sponge person. Get something 2x or 3tx filtration.
10. With this size tank IF algae does become a problem you can always do DIY Co2. Make sure you reduce Photoperiod so that algae doesn't become an issue.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store