Separate Amazon Swords?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hage0245

AC Members
Dec 8, 2010
Minnesota, baby!
Real Name
Shane
I have a few groups of Amazon Swords in my 55 gallon and was wondering if a group can be separated into smaller bunches. Some of the lower leaves are quite small so I thought it would help to separate them and move them so they could get more light, but the groups seem so tightly held together I didn't know if I would harm them if I pulled them apart at the roots. Any input?

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
i say yank, baby, yank. fear no plant root...

asukawashere

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Fairfield, CT
asukawashere.com
Real Name
Amanda Wenger
What you need to do is look at the crown of the plant and see if it's split into 2 separate rosettes (each with their own roots). If you have 2+ rooted rosettes, you can pull (or cut) them apart into multiple plants. If not, I wouldn't risk it.

Case in point: I just got a potted 'Tanzende Feuerfeder' sword the other day, and it had a whole bunch of rosettes all stuck in one pot. I pulled them apart into half a dozen separate plants and now have 6 swords for the price of 1. :)

hage0245

AC Members
Dec 8, 2010
Minnesota, baby!
Real Name
Shane
What you need to do is look at the crown of the plant and see if it's split into 2 separate rosettes (each with their own roots). If you have 2+ rooted rosettes, you can pull (or cut) them apart into multiple plants. If not, I wouldn't risk it.

Case in point: I just got a potted 'Tanzende Feuerfeder' sword the other day, and it had a whole bunch of rosettes all stuck in one pot. I pulled them apart into half a dozen separate plants and now have 6 swords for the price of 1. :)

I'll pull them up today and check their root system, which has gotten absolutely huge in 2 months. I actually need to get more pool filter sand, 50 lbs isn't going to be enough if they keep growing like this.

Thanks for all your input.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store