Discus in a 125

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cweber

AC Members
Dec 12, 2006
Oklahoma
Im tearing down my Reef and going back to Freshwater. I have been reading on discus and malawi cichlids. I havnt made up my mind yet and want to read as much as possible before going one way or the other. First I will describe my tank and then a few questions. My tank is a standard 125g 6 foot long. I have a 6 bulb T-5 light so I could do plants if I go with discus, and a 29g sump that I will convert to be used for FW filtering needs.

What would be the order of doing things with a planted discus tank? I would really rather not have a BB tank, but dont want to risk losing a fish.

Should the discus be the first fish added, and how many?

With different colors, do you put a bunch of one color in and wait, then pull a few, then add a second color? Or get a few of each color and let them be. Im not looking to be a breeder, but if they do it would be cool.

That should get the ball rolling for me. Thanks for any advice!

Cory

NateTheFishGuy

AC Members
Aug 26, 2010
You may want to start out with a biological additive to kick-start the biological filter. I would use something like Dr. Tim's One and Only. Discus are hard to start out with, but after the first few weeks they are basically bulletproof. what you need to do is something like letting the tank stand with the bio-additive added, so the bacteria can colonize. Is it only Discus in the tank? because you could try and put Cardinals as starter fish. good luck

Saraswati828

AC Members
Sep 5, 2010
Asheville, NC
Real Name
Wendy
@ NateTheFishGuy aren't cardinals saltwater?

NB_Aquatics

AC Members
Jan 17, 2011
SW Ohio
Real Name
Nick
@ NateTheFishGuy aren't cardinals saltwater?
I think he means cardinal tetras, which look and do awesome with discus. I always had better luck starting out with juvie discus, say about 2". I would get like 25 cardinal tetras to start out with, then add about 6 discus later on, a few gbr's would look great in there also. Maybe some corys too (;

cweber

AC Members
Dec 12, 2006
Oklahoma
There will be other fish as well. I cant decide between rummy nose tetras or the cardinals. So you say set up the tank with the other fish and plants, and then add the discus.

NB_Aquatics- I would like to start with small ones, but arent they harder to keep? I have an RO/DI unit, but didnt really want to do daily water changes.

How many discus can I put in the tank?

Temptress

Total Newbie
Mar 12, 2009
Minnesota
I have rummy nose tetras with my discus and they are very happy =) I also have some cories, they make good tank mates as well.

The way I set up my tank was to get it all planted and running with some comparable sized fish (or at least bioload, I had about 14 GBR, 10 neons (which won't do well in temps that high), 10 rummies, 12 coris, a family of bushy nose plecos (10) and let that run real good for a couple months. I did weekly water changes of about 50-75% because really if your plants are healthy and growing they are using up the bad stuff =)

After a couple months I sold off a bunch of fish and got 6 adult discus and they were eating the first day and were healthy and happy until I sold them a year later because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to care for them while I was in college. Now I have some new discus =)

P.S. I have never used ro/di water. I think the only time that comes into play is when you're breeding them. Growing discus actually do much better in hard water all the calcium and mineral deposits are good for their bone development.

This is just my experience with my fish, alot of folks might say it's wrong, but it's certainly worked for me =) HTH

100_2255.JPG 100_2367.JPG

tfrank112

AC Members
Feb 11, 2010
Southern California
Cardinals look really great with discus. Right now I have 2 dwarf gouramis with my angels and discus, but will be adding some cardinals or bleeding heart tetras to the mix.

rich_one

AC Members
Nov 7, 2008
Maryland
I think the discus should go in first. I have bolivian rams with my discus, along with one turquoise severum. I plan to put rummynose tetras in there at some point to finish it off.

-Rich

alan j t

AC Members
Nov 5, 2006
Reno NV
Real Name
alan
all the info sounds right to me.

but sounds like you want to buy adults, if you can afford it then go for it.
first, setup the planted tank, all of it growing nice n nice and make sure its dialed in.
i say add your discus last and at the same time or like 5 now and 5 later.

cardinals, rams, almost any tetra cory cats, like sterbia corys

Enkay

AC Members
Jul 29, 2011
I set up a 125 in March and added a bunch of plants and fish. I let it be for 2 months with angels, tetras and the like. Only after which I put discus in it and fortunately everything has been smooth so far.

Cardinals are probably the best fish you can put in with discus but I would suggest a whole bunch of cardinals. They look really awesome as a school of a dozen or more.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store