Kordon Breather Bags

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

thebrandon

I like fish
Jan 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
I recently purchased 6 rams from a seller on Aquabid.com. In one of his emails he told me about how he ships his fish, and one of the statements I got was NOT to float the Kordon bags because the will die if this kind of bag is floated. I was completely unaware of this. Is this true? I usually never float bags. I am most of the time a drip acclimation kind of person. I know msjnkz (I can never remember how to spell her name on here) has had good success just plopping new fish into her tanks. I was thinking about trying the same thing with my new shipment of rams anyway.

But my main question is, is it true you can't float Kordon Breather Bags?

sorberj

wannabe fish whisperer
Sep 14, 2009
McCleary, WA
Real Name
Jerad
I think this is a result of the manufactuer's instructions regarding double-bagging with water in between the bags. According to the manufactuer's website, placing the bag in water decreases the oxygen exchange by up to 50%. I drip acclimate everything anymore anyways so it doesn't really matter for my acclimation procedure.

ceiji

AC Members
Jun 27, 2008
Michigan
kordon breather bags exchange oxygen and carbon dioxide between the water in it and the air around it. That is why people ship with little or no air inside the kordon bags. when you put the bag in water, it will not be able to exchange gases and hence decreases the amount of oxygen in water in the bag.. this is the reason to not put kordon breather bags in water.

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
Don't plop.
Some folks bungee jump. Some folks always speed. Some folks do dangerous things.
Is that a good reason for everyone to do it?

Drip acclimatization is the best way to get your new fish used to their new water. If the fish look like they need air, add an air stone to the drip bucket. The process should take two hours or more. My personal preference for a drip container is a 2.5 - 5 gallon gallon aquarium so I can see the fish as they acclimatize.

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
If they're shipped fish I plop and drop. The fish have been in that small amount of water for a while with the toxic wastes and I want them out of it as quickly as possible. I've not had any losses using this method.

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
kordon breather bags exchange oxygen and carbon dioxide between the water in it and the air around it. That is why people ship with little or no air inside the kordon bags. when you put the bag in water, it will not be able to exchange gases and hence decreases the amount of oxygen in water in the bag.. this is the reason to not put kordon breather bags in water.
right on. the bag is going to go most under water and no longer able to exchange o2.
Don't plop.
Some folks bungee jump. Some folks always speed. Some folks do dangerous things.
Is that a good reason for everyone to do it?

Drip acclimatization is the best way to get your new fish used to their new water. If the fish look like they need air, add an air stone to the drip bucket. The process should take two hours or more. My personal preference for a drip container is a 2.5 - 5 gallon gallon aquarium so I can see the fish as they acclimatize.
not always true.... there some cases more so with shipping dripping can be more harmful.
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238573

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Interesting little tid bit of info there about the breather bags. Wasn't aware of that. Good thing I don't float bags.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store