Edible Aquatic Plants

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Satuno

AC Members
Dec 18, 2010
Real Name
Auston
I recently added some water celery to my overflow box, and I got to reading about it. Turns out its edible.... I looked up some other edible aquatic plants, and then I got this great idea.

I guess its like aquaponics, but strictly aquatic/semi aquatic plants. I could design a tank with a built in background that could house different shelves to allow edible aquatic plants to flourish. basically a riparium, it would look good, and TASTE good!

I was thinking a 50-70g tank that is short, and fairly deep. doing a 3d background with tons of "pockets"(planters built into the background to allow some plants that dont grow as tall to be closer to the surface. Even having shelves close to the top to allow for semi-submerged plants to flourish.

I was thinking Waterchestnuts, watercress, duckweed(its edible!), marsh mallow(wiki this stuff, its a cough suppresant/whiteblood cell activator, its what the original marshmallows were made of) water celery, water spinach, and water pepper.

Tank stocking would be pretty easy, I was thinking some congo tetras, and maybe some otos to keep things cleanish.

Anyways what do you guys think?

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
some folks freak out at the thought of having their fish and something edible in the same sentence... especially veggies that may not get cooked. i, personally don't think it's much different than having a garden accessible to surrounding wildlife. i haven't looked into it extensively... but there are hygro farms, aqua farms, aqua gardening, whatever you want to call it...

don't know the specifics... but i ain't skeered either...

floridaskunkape

AC Members
Jan 13, 2010
That is great! I hope you do it.
Just last night I was thinking about how to grow the super food- Corella algae. Astronauts lived on this alone.

asukawashere

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Fairfield, CT
asukawashere.com
Real Name
Amanda Wenger
If you actually produce enough food with this setup to eat it on a regular basis, more power to you.

As for the fish water touching food plants bit... I take the water from my tank changes in the summer and pour it on my veggie garden. Figure the nitrates and whatnot are good for the tomatoes. Hasn't killed me yet, lol!

BTW, try Limnophila aromatica out as well. It's an ingredient in some Asian beverages... I hear you can make tea with it, too.

Given the multiplicative rate of duckweed, I'm beginning to think it's the easiest solution to feeding malnourished children in 3rd world countries. Someone should go point this out to UNICEF. Just saying.

soobie

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
eastern oregon, USA
Real Name
Sue
It should be fine, just make sure you're not using any medications or chemicals in the tank that are not listed as safe for human consumption. (Even Prime says on its MSDS not to introduce it into drinking water or foodstuffs. Might be OK if you washed the produce before eating, but YMMV.)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store