Camallanus cotti

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
My guppy tank has it and im having a hard time finding any of the stuff listed on the site that treats it.

Levamisole hydrochloride (effective as anti-worming agent), flubendazole, fenbendazole,

where can i find any of this?!

i went to a LFS and they said to use PraziPro?... the ingredients said it was Praziaquantel? and oxybispropanol.

would this work? he said to soak there food in it and feed it to them untill you see them expel the worms.....any one have any info on this product and will it work?.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i had great success with levamisole and wouldn't treat with anything else if i had to go through a callamanus infestation again (knock on wood!).

try asking around at the livestock vets in your area. levamisole is actually a livestock dewormer. the reason it's gotten so hard to get is because street drug dealers (read: lowlifes) use it to cut various hard drugs and the various governing bodies have cracked down.

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
i have another week until ill have the funds to order anything...but ill look around at the vets near me for levamisole
Questions:
How do i dose it
How long do i use it
do i need to take out the carbon in my filters?

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
Rachel, that link is for Charles Harrison out of British Columbia here in Canada. i'm not sure if he would ship out to the States or not, but definitely worth a try!

Kaosu, what's your zip code and your tank size? i have some extra levamisole here. i'll see if it's enough to do your tank and if i would run into any issues mailing it to you (customs, ugh).

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i have another week until ill have the funds to order anything...but ill look around at the vets near me for levamisole
Questions:
How do i dose it
How long do i use it
do i need to take out the carbon in my filters?

5 grams of powdered levamisole treats 100 gallons of tank. it's hard to overdose on this stuff so if your measures aren't spot on, it's ok. dilute 5 grams into 100ml of tank water to make a stock solution. now each 1ml will treat 1 gallon worth of tank. doing the math for smaller amounts of levamisole and of stock solution is easy (example: 2.5 grams would treat 50 gallons so instead of using 100 ml water use 50. making up exactly the right amount of stock solution for one treatment at a time is a good idea, since meds break down quickly in water.

dose once, wait a couple days. do a huge water change and deep all over gravel vac. repeat in two weeks (levamisole kills the worms but not the eggs).

yes, remove your carbon during treatment. as well, keep your lights off, since levamisole is light sensitive, especially after being mixed water from what i have read.

and fyi, my plants barely suffered at all. a bit of browning on swords, i think that was it.

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
Kaosu, what's your zip code and your tank size? i have some extra levamisole here. i'll see if it's enough to do your tank and if i would run into any issues mailing it to you (customs, ugh).
10 gallon tank but i moved fish around a while back and was not sure when the infection started so ill be needing to treat every thing!! er

so
10 gallon
20,25,and a 40 gallon.

my zip is 98284...and let me check the vets around here tomorrow and see what i can find any...any idea on the price of this stuff?

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i had the fortune of knowing a very generous and kind lfs owner at the time i needed levamisole and they charged me 20 bucks for half of their supply, which worked out to be about 20 grams. normally it sells for a lot more than that, but i'm sorry, i can't recall the exact price. it is usually sold in 5 gram packets from that Charles Harrison fellow (link that Rachel posted).

oooh, i don't think i'd have enough to treat all your tanks Kasou, sorry :( but i do agree, treating them all is the best idea, since even using a net from one tank to another can risk contamination, and the 'red threads' don't show up for some time so you wouldn't know if a tank was infected or not until then.

i'd try contacting Charles Harrison, since it seems he is in the States. the levamisole he sells is already portioned out 5 grams each, making it super convenient. your total tanks volume is so close to 100 gallons, so mixing with the 100ml for the stock solution and then dosing 1ml per gallon in all your tanks will work well. i'd pick up at least two packets (one treatment now, one in 2 weeks), and if you can afford it, a couple extra packets just in case, for future.

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
thank you so much BettaFishMpmmy!!!! you really do rock

im checking with vets in my area before i order anything.

I only have one guppy showing the little red worms, no other fish are showing any other sighs, I lost a female a few days agoe to wasting...:( but every one is still eating like little pigs....the female with the worms acutely gave birth about 3 days ago and the fry look good. sooooooo i hope i can get this under control soon....my poor guppy machine....
this is the tank under attack ..the yellow female at the bottom corner is the one showing the worms...:( one of the 3 monster females...they all reach about 3 inches and give me 90-100 fry a drop maybe more and iv had them for a year and a half.

I was just about to tear this tank apart for a deep clean and rescaping.....good timing i guess if it was going to happen.(not milky tank is crystal clear...just bad camera)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store