How to trim plants?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tertas2

AC Members
Oct 28, 2010
I don't see much, or any threads, on trimming plants. I have a couple of different plants and trimmed some but don't seem to be growing back. Did I do something wrong? I have a Vallisneria nana that I trimmed by cutting the tops about 3 inches, and did the same to some type of dwarf grass that supposed to grow into a carpet but it's still the same size as when I bought it. Its been 2 weeks with the vallisneria and the leaves have not grown. The good thing is the new sprout growing outward in every direction. I am concerned about the dwarf grass that has not grown at all. My swords and anubias are doing great.

I dose Flourish excel every morning and put in plant food once every week. My lights are on 8hrs and I also use gravel tabs. I have been noticing a black film growing on the dwarf grass which I believe is preventing it from photosynthesis, but not sure.

WeedCali

Certified Dubhead
Dec 14, 2009
NorCal/BayArea
Real Name
Adam
Your plants may be adjusting to your tank still. some plants can take up to ~3mo. to for a carpet depending on conditions.

I would stop using Excel. it kills Vals just so ya know.

What kinda of lighting to you use?

Hurley

aka Bunny13
Oct 2, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
www.freewebs.com
What kind of light do you have over your tank?

You might need to up your dosing schedule first and then your lighting if you aren't seeing the growth you want but then you start to get into the need for pressurized co2.

If its only been 2 weeks then give it time. I take pictures every couple days because I have trouble seeing growth changes and I'm impatient.

When trimming the grass like plants you can take them down pretty far. Trimming will encourage new leaf and root growth.

Do you have pictures of the black film?

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
vals really like root feeding, too. i wouldn't doubt your "grass" would too. to add to the other great suggestions thus far...

WeedCali

Certified Dubhead
Dec 14, 2009
NorCal/BayArea
Real Name
Adam
You can do a half dose of Excel with vals supposedly but ive never tried it.

and get some pics for sure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store