hair algae on chaeto

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
I've been dealing with some hair algae in my fuge. Seeing how this is a new build, I was expecting a build-up of excess nutrients. I'm having a slight rise in nitrates, and being the irresponsible and lazy fishkeeper that I am, I haven't done a water change since I setup the tank (about a month ago). I'll be working on this on Saturday.

I noticed quite a bit of hair algae growing on my chaeto, and I'm debating whether or not I should manually remove it.

I read up on whatever info I could find. Some people say the hair algae is a good thing because like chaeto, it'll help suck up excess nutrients, and it'll compete against any hair algae in the main tank. Others say it's best to remove it.

My fuge lighting is an 18" dual strip T5 (I think they're 20 watts each). They've been on there for less than a year, and I keep them on for 14 hours.

In your opinion, should I worry about the algae or let it grow, eventually trimming it when it starts getting too large?

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
I would cut out/pull out as much of the hair algae out of the chaeto as possible. I don't think it will help because it will harm/steal the light for the chaeto and eventually take over.. although this is the first time I have heard of hair algae on chaeto.. I have seen Cyano grow on chaeto all the time.. and even seen caulerpa get tangled within and grow in/on the chaeto, but hair algae is a first to me. JMO. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store