powerheads in planteds?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

prez06

AC Members
Jul 21, 2010
greenville, nc
hey all,
i have a 40 breeder that is moderately planted (hopefully heavily planted with some growth). i've always been a fan of the way plants/corals look swaying under a heavy current, and was wondering if this was beneficial/detrimental to the overall aquarium. i've been looking at koralias and would probably add one if there weren't too many issues with adding one.

Vince G.

AC Members
Dec 27, 2010
Roselle Park, NJ
The current can be very beneficial to the aquarium, helping to oxygenate the water. Some fish really seem to enjoy swimming against the current, and it has to be some kind of exercise for them also (I like to change the direction of mine every once in a while to watch the fish get gently blown around in an area that they don't expect a current). Also a few plecos that I have read about (I think Gold Nuggets) prefer to breed in a place where there is a current. As long as the current is not strong enough to damage/pull up the plants, it should be fine.

I was just thinking, if you are breeding in this tank, would the current blow the babies around, should you have any?

prez06

AC Members
Jul 21, 2010
greenville, nc
yeah, the aquarium has just recently been set up again after basically just sitting there with water and a few anubias in it, so i'll probably let the plants take root before i add one. i'm not sure what i'll be doing as far as breeding goes...i'll have harlequin rasboras (5 now, about 11-13 more later), cories (peppered/julii), and i plan on getting some angels as well. i haven't witnessed any breeding yet, but that is a good point. i do have numerous tanks that could be used for growout tanks if breeding does occur, and that was generally the plan anyway. finding them if they are blowing around could be a problem though.

Vince G.

AC Members
Dec 27, 2010
Roselle Park, NJ
Just remembering that I've read somewhere that a current can be beneficial to egglayers by increasing the circulation around the eggs of some fish. Sort of like when you see videos of fish fanning the eggs with their fins.

roscoe70

AC Members
Apr 5, 2009
East Texas
I run a Koralia I in my planted 58 with no problems. FWIW the BN's seem to have a continuous spawning going on as I have little ones from <one week to those that are nearly 1 1/2". Should be no problem for you, good luck.

prez06

AC Members
Jul 21, 2010
greenville, nc
well, the direction i plan on pointing the flow will be right over an anubias barteri and a huge clump of anubias nana, as well as some driftwood; those would be the areas i would predict egg-laying occurs. so they'll be getting some current, lol.

prez06

AC Members
Jul 21, 2010
greenville, nc
im not sure if there are adjustable ones, but i'd think you could angle it towards an aquarium wall to impede/slow down the flow a bit.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store