Usergroup
    Members
    Last Activity
    02-05-2011 9:09 AM

Coral stung by urchin (HELP)

I recently purchased blue Cespitularia Xenia, and a pincushion urchin. They both were doing great and one night when i came home from work the coral was "melting" and the urchin was slowly escaping off of the frag plug. Is this coral save able? if there is anything i can dose to help it. The coral was 2-3 inches high and about 1/3 of a penny base, now it is the size of a penny base wise and height. It is also trying to move off of the frag plug. PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME try and make this coral come back to its former glory.

Contain the Excitement... Amphiprion's Avatar
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Last Activity
    10-27-2014 7:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by clowny View Post
    I recently purchased blue Cespitularia Xenia, and a pincushion urchin. They both were doing great and one night when i came home from work the coral was "melting" and the urchin was slowly escaping off of the frag plug. Is this coral save able? if there is anything i can dose to help it. The coral was 2-3 inches high and about 1/3 of a penny base, now it is the size of a penny base wise and height. It is also trying to move off of the frag plug. PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME try and make this coral come back to its former glory.
    This is actually a common reaction in xeniid corals. Many things can cause it. As such, I doubt the urchin had stung the coral. Even puncture wounds aren't an issue for xeniids. I suspect the Cespitularia had a meltdown reaction and the urchin simply dined upon what was left of the encrusted base--common, as many/most urchins are omnivorous to one degree or another. Whether or not the coral will come back will depend upon water conditions and how much tissue is left. A post containing your water parameters, preferably when the Cespitularia died, if you tested then. If not, getting some parameters as soon as possible will help quite a bit.

Thread Information