Marimo balls light requirements in Hexagon

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishDreamer48

AC Members
May 25, 2009
Kentucky
Okay so I have a 40 gallon Hexagon tank I think it is like 25" tall. I read that marimo balls require like 2-3 currently I just have two regular fluorescent fixtures. I thought it would be awesome to finally get some marimo balls cause they would look super cool in this tank so basically I need to figure out what sort of light I would need (currently upgrading filters so this is a future thing if I can afford it) with what bulbs to get the required light they need down to them, was think about get 5-6 not sure if amount matters, I wasn't planning on adding CO2 cannot afford it, didn't seem necessary from what I read.

Thoughts?

jawasnack

Live plants and fish make you smile
Dec 8, 2010
Missouri
Real Name
Gary
I'm not sure what the numbers are supposed to represent in your post, but Marimo balls do not require high light, they do just fine in low to moderate lighting. I have a couple in a 36 gal tank with only one 17watt 6700 kelvin bulb an their doing just fine. (that's just under .5 watts per gallon) using standard fluorescent.

FishDreamer48

AC Members
May 25, 2009
Kentucky
I read that they needs like 2-3 watts per gallon, but if yours are doing fine with .5 wpg than if I have two fluorescent fixtures on my 25" tall 40 gallon hex is that plenty of light? I was mainly worried because of the light diffussion due to the tank being so tall.

asukawashere

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Fairfield, CT
asukawashere.com
Real Name
Amanda Wenger
Marimo balls are an extremely undemanding species of algae (genus Cladophora). As long as there's some form of lighting in the tank, they're probably fine. Keeping Cladophora alive is easy.... it's killing it that's the challenge o_O'

FishDreamer48

AC Members
May 25, 2009
Kentucky
what kind of lights do you have now exactly?

Just you run of the mill fluorescent lights like these http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/15465/product.web

I think one of the bulbs may be a plant bulb, but I am not positive.

So I think with asukawashere's comment I may just get some and see how it goes, maybe replace the bulbs with some nice plant bulb if it looks like it is necessary. I may wait until I sell the fish in my other tank so I can move the cories out, the assassin snails will be gone Monday and then I won't be trying to catch fish around them.

Bubbles2112

Is someone behind me???
Jun 22, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Real Name
Barbara
I had tried keeping a marimo ball in a 20g hex that had just stock lighting. The ball did not grow and flattened out slightly. The flattening was not due to it not being turned--it was insufficient lighting. The brightness of the ball diminished greatly over time and it just looked sickly after about six months. I took it out and placed it into a higher light tank with a specialized plant bulb and the bright green coloration returned as did normal growth but it never regained the roundness. Now it is a flattened piece like a carpet. I cut it open and laid it down on a rock and it is doing just fine.

FishDreamer48

AC Members
May 25, 2009
Kentucky
I had tried keeping a marimo ball in a 20g hex that had just stock lighting. The ball did not grow and flattened out slightly. The flattening was not due to it not being turned--it was insufficient lighting. The brightness of the ball diminished greatly over time and it just looked sickly after about six months. I took it out and placed it into a higher light tank with a specialized plant bulb and the bright green coloration returned as did normal growth but it never regained the roundness. Now it is a flattened piece like a carpet. I cut it open and laid it down on a rock and it is doing just fine.

Well if you had it on a 20 hex and mine a 40 then there seems to be no hope for me, what sort of lighting and what tank did you move it too?

FishDreamer48

AC Members
May 25, 2009
Kentucky
i would look into putting cfl bulbs over the tank though i am keeping mine in a 60 gallon with dual 32w bulbs and going fine. they really dont need a lot. more then likely they will be fine.

So you are saying they will be fine as is or that I need to buy compact fluorescent lights if I want to have them?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store