Would these bulbs work well?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NismoStyle

AC Members
Jul 17, 2010
Hi, I have a 55gallon and I'm planning to start a low light planted tank. I have found the lighting setup that I am planning to use, but it's a bit pricey. I was hoping these bulbs would hold me over until I can get the fixture I want. I have taken a 48" dual bulb shoplight and fitted it in my wooden canopy over my tank.

These are the bulbs I am looking at.

http://www.lightbulbsdirect.com/page/001/PROD/T12HO/F48T12-D-HO

They will work out to about 2.2 watt/gal. I can get 2 of them for $15 shipped. I think they will work just fine. Once I get my new light setup I can move them to my shop they will look great there too.

I am planning on using them for about a month or so to hold me over.

What do you think?

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
Those are VHO lamps. Do you have a VHO fixture?
Common shoplights use either bi-pin T12 only or T8 & T12 lamps.

With shipping and handling and the [FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]"*Requires a $4.00 Overpack Charge per Order" your cost is going to be more like $12.00 per bulb/tube/lamp.

All the big box hardware stores will have 48" daylight bulbs at about $7.00 each. Two of those will give you low to medium light on a 55 depending on how high about the water you have the fixture mounted.
[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

standardbyker63

AC Members
Dec 10, 2008
Bettendorf, IA
Lowes sells 48" T8 shop light fixtures for $20. They take two 32w bulbs. I just Hung a couple of these out in my garage. I actually got a twin pack of bulbs for $5 too, but I can't remember what Kelvin. Just look around. They should carry 6500K daylight bulbs. This would be ample for a low light setup to hold you over till you get your new light and then you'll also have a new shop light once your new tank light arrives.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store