Little help with chiclid tank please

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Derf

AC Members
Jan 2, 2011
I have been keeping fish for over 25 years and have never had chiclids. I have an old 29 gal. tank. It is the tall type and not long. I have been doing some research on stocking it and think I know some of the options.

I want chiclids that do not get large. Any suggestions as to such things as type, number, other fish that are compatable, etc.
Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
lots of cichlids out there....any interest you in particular?

shellies?

rams?

an angel?

rtbob

AC Members
Jul 22, 2010
Austin, TX
Real Name
Bob
German Blue Rams, Bolivian Rams and a newer species called Balloon Rams are all dwarfs and very colorful. I currently have two Balloon Rams in my 55g community tank. From what I have read on them they are less demanding (hardier) than the other two types.

Kribensis are also considered a dwarf. I have never kept them.

Then there is what some call Shellies(?). I no very little about them but I think they will do well in a tank the size of yours.

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
Balloon rams are actually deformed GBR, not a new species. I highly doubt they are hardier than GBR. Bolivans are quite hardy. You could do a pair of rams in the 29g and fill the rest out with community fish. Same with kribs. If you opt for an angel then a single angel centerpiece in a community tank would be best.

If you want to go with shellies, you could do a very nice colony of them in there. Start with a ton of shells, a couple makes, and several females, and you'll soon have a nice colony.

Just Prince

AC Members
Nov 2, 2007
you could keep a pair of Angel fish, or a pair of Apistogramma, or a pair of jewel cichlids, or some Lamprologus, or even some Victorians like Ruby Green Haps. All depends on what you can find or what you are willing to have shipped.

fish-n-chips

AC Members
Oct 29, 2008
N.E. WI
Real Name
C.J.
They can, but it would be in there best interest to provide more than just the flake you buy at big boxes. A good cichlid flake alternated with a good veggie flake like spirulina would be OK.
If you want SA~ as mentioned before there are rams and apistos. Also, there are many species of Laetacara(curviceps, dorsigera,thayeri) available to the hobby. Rainbow cichlids are another option as are keyholes.
If you are looking for African riverine~ there are many species and variants of Pelvicachromis available with kribs(pulcher) being the most common. Other species of Pelvicachromis available are: taeniatus, humilis, roloffi, rubrolabiatus, sacrimontis, signatus and subocellatus. The african butterfly cichlid (Anomalochromis thomasi) is a beautiful dwarf.
Since this is your first time to keep cichlids, you might want to avoid the rift lake cichlids for the time being as they can be a very aggressive group. A single species of the the shellies would be pretty good though. Just do your research on all of the dwarf cichlids before you decide what species you would like.
As far as tankmates go, there are many options out there from tetras, rasboras, hatchets and cory catfish and plecos. Although I would not put those with rifties except for maybe bristlenose plecos. Some syno. catfish could work with those.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store