Neon Tetra Disease or something else?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hurley

aka Bunny13
Oct 2, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
www.freewebs.com
I've had the neons for about 2 weeks. There are 2 that look funny. I originally thought maybe the discoloration was from an injury and just healing scales so I treated for a couple days with melafix and primafix but it's not better. The fish are still eating and schooling with the others.

NTD or something else?

tolawdjk

AC Members
Sep 8, 2010
Had something very similar in my neons. Had a school of 6, 3 of which developed what you are seeing. They also had a tendency to not school and to hide in a secluded area. Eventually took the precaution to euthanize and the other three never showed the symptoms.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Water conditions?

Do they appear to lost some locomotive ability compared to rest of neons?

Vid posible?

Hurley

aka Bunny13
Oct 2, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
www.freewebs.com
0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, less than 20ppm Nitrates (it's a heavily planted, high tech tank that gets dosed using the EI method)

No trouble moving. They swim around, eat, and school with the rest of the fish.

I'll see if I can get a video up soon.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
I've never had a case of NTD, so I can't say from my own experience how these pictures compare with that, but, to me, and correct me if I'm wrong, the photos seem to show lesions that are slighty fuzzy, fluffy, or filmy - maybe like wet cotton.

The areas don't appear to me to be the hairy, whispy strands as in fungus, but more like either excessive slime coat and mucous-y looking, or else like the filmy, fluffy lesions characteristic of Columnaris.

Here are some photos for comparison:

The first two are Columnaris, a bacterial infection, and the second two are true fungus.

Flex1 red betta.jpg
This Betta has Columnaris. Note the filmy, fluffy, lesions.

Columnaris pic.jpg
Columnaris can appear as in the above picture, but also as flat dull patches on the body. You can see how the lesion here has a filminess, a wet cottony appearance.

fungus for comparison.jpg
This is true fungus. Note the long whispy, hairy structure of fungal lesions.
Note how this looks more like what appears on moldy bread, or like a piece of food that accidentally was left in the aquarium.

Fungus on Lucy.jpg
Lucy, one of our AC member's Gourami that developed true fungus. Again, note the long, hairy whisps.

How do these photos compare to what you are seeing? I hope these help.
Get back to us ASAP with your input, please.

Flex1 red betta.jpg Columnaris pic.jpg fungus for comparison.jpg Fungus on Lucy.jpg

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
How about pH?
NTD will display paleness on the dorsal area first and they do loose locomotive ability (lose of posterior muscle control?), separate itself from rest and eventually hanging in angle at the top before death..

Although pics are blurRRRR, it seems like a possible bact/fungal infection into the tissues.

Hope all goes well

oskinc

Registered Member
Jan 8, 2011
Grafton, MA
I have seen this before. Cardinals and Neons tend to get stressed very easily. They are difficult to acclimate into a new tank and must be done very slowly. It looks to me like ulcerations from stress. This could be from them being new (I believe you said 2 weeks) or a significant change in water conditions (pH). It could be a fungus but my bet is ulcerations from stress! There is medication for it but it looks fairly advanced...

Hurley

aka Bunny13
Oct 2, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
www.freewebs.com
Video

The tank has a pH between 6.8 and 7.0. I've kept neons for years so I know how finicky they can be and its one of the reasons I have stayed away from them in recent years. About 1/3rd of the neons are from 2 weeks ago and the other 2/3rds are actually from over a month ago. The first batch had ich so I had to treat that before I could add any other fish.

I've seen neons lose the color in their stripes from stress but this is different.

Mel, the white areas are not fuzzy or hairy at all and there seems to be no external injury. The while spot on the larger of the 2 neons is bigger today than yesterday. When I moved the fish to QT I took a closer look. It's almost like the fish are turning white from the inside out. The change seems to take place under the scales.

I tried taking a video with my camera. I've never used the video function before so sorry if they are blurry!

[YT]J1HOHUX_h0g[/YT]

[YT]W60fZRTUtOU[/YT]

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store