German Blue Rams vs Bolivian Rams. Help?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Eastside Game

AC Members
Dec 14, 2010
Hello guys,
I was wondering what would be a better match for a 20 gallon high tank. To have german blue rams or bolivian rams. I am new to the hobbie so I have no idea. Should i get a pair of german blue rams or bolivian rams? Or just one male or a female of one or the other ?What advice would you give me?

Thank you

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
As far as I know a pair of either would work, I think care requirements are fairly similar but that the Bolivians are a little hardier.

NB_Aquatics

AC Members
Jan 17, 2011
SW Ohio
Real Name
Nick
Well if you are new to fish and you have your heart set on these little guys then i would go with bolivians. They are much hardier. A well established tank is really the key to these guys, more so for the german blue rams. Bolivians would probably be the best for you, just because like you said, you are new to fish. After you have them a little while and study up on gbr's more then you should try them. There is a lot to learn about fish, and no one knows everything, i learn something knew everyday about them :)

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I agree...try the bolivians first. I think you may become frustrated with the GBRs.

Eastside Game

AC Members
Dec 14, 2010
frustrated because they are so fragile?
is there a large difference between the size of gbr and bolivian rams?

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Not really a size difference. Bolivians are much hardier.

Piranha86

AC Members
Dec 26, 2009
Harford County Maryland
Real Name
Will
+1 on the bolivians.

With color, you can get really nice ramirezi color-wise, but they will be expensive and finicky. A bolivian is not quite as colorful and maybe not as pretty, but they will be a much better fish for you.

drdud

AC Members
Oct 20, 2005
Southwest of Chicago
I have some bolivians. I have had them for several years and seem pretty hardy. Never had GBR, but have been told they are a little more sensitive. The bolivians are attractive, but not nearly as colorful as the GBR. I love the shape of the rams.

Squad Leader

AC Members
Oct 12, 2010
Just went through this. I went through a few EBGR and have Bolivians now. The Bolivians are thriving where the EBGRs failed. Good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store