Suitable set-up for Angelfish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CharleyDog

AC Members
Feb 7, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Hi,​

I have a 30 gallon (30"L x 12.5"W x 19"H) planted aquarium (java fern, java moss, wisteria (I think), miniature swords) with a gravel substrate and an Ehiem 2213 canister filter. I can’t remember the type of heater, but the tank stays fairly consistent at about 78F and the heater can be turned up if necessary.​

The tank is cycled, and I added flourish excel and a liquid fertilizer after water changes. The tank is vacuumed / 30% water changed each week.​

Currently the tank contains 4 platies and several endler guppies (which will hopefully have new homes by the end of this week).​

I would like to add 5-6 corys for the bottom (probably juli or panda) and I would like to increase the platy group to 6 or 7.​

I would like to add a single angelfish as centerpiece fish, but I’m not certain if this is a suitable set-up for an angelfish. from the reading I have done, it seems like the fish should be compatible and the tank size should be adequate and I'm not concerned about fry being eaten (in fact, I'm hoping for it.)However, I'd like confirmation from someone besides the guy at the fish store who is trying to get me to buy the fish!​

Is the tank and the set-up suitable for an angelfish?​

Thanks!​

Last edited:

ExPeNsIvE HoBbY

Formerly ExPeNsIvE AdDiCtIoN on MFK
Sep 9, 2010
Fishville USA
Real Name
Scotty MaC
Generally angels prefer taller tanks as they swim up and down as a posed to side to side like arowanas do. As long as the tank is tall enuff, which it seems it is, it should be fine. I keep my breeding pairs in 30g tanks for two large adults, and about 40-70(depending on how many I sell) juveniles in a 135g grow out tank.

While angels appreciate plants for cover and look beautiful amongst them, just make sure the plants don't limit swimming room too much. Fish like guppies have no problem navigating through them, but angels being bigger and leas streamlined have a harder time if it is over planted...

CharleyDog

AC Members
Feb 7, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Thanks for the information.

I'm thinking of trading out the wisteria (or whatever it is) for some type of val, as the exisitng plant is getting really bushy and I'm getting tired of cutting it back. The vals would still provide some cover for the platies, but would take up alot less volume in the tank.

I'll try to remember to take and post a photo of the tank tonight - I've tried to keep the plantings to the back and sides so that there is swiming room in the center of the tank.

Also (and this might be a really dumb question, but I don't know the answer...) does it matter what order the fish are added? If I do decide to go with the single angelfish, I was thinking of getting it next and feeding it the platy fry while it is in the quarantine tank (in addition to flake/frozen food) to keep the fry numbers down in the main tank. Once the quarantine is complete, the angel would go into the main tank and then I would purchase the corys and quarantine them. Will the angel have issues with fish added once it is already in the tank?

Thanks!

ExPeNsIvE HoBbY

Formerly ExPeNsIvE AdDiCtIoN on MFK
Sep 9, 2010
Fishville USA
Real Name
Scotty MaC
Usually you add the most aggressive fish last. Kinda the new kid on the block thing. But I don't believe with your stock list you have any equal territorial issues, as all your fights will be one sided with the angel winning...

CharleyDog

AC Members
Feb 7, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah, I don't really see the platies or corys being much of a concern to the angel. However, I will still probably add the angel last, as it will also give me time to think about if the angel is the best solution to what I am after (centerpiece fish that will help with fry clean-up).

Thanks.

ponderingky

AC Members
Sep 24, 2009
Ashland, KY
The general rule of thumb is 10 gallons per adult angel - so your set up is fine and should do quite well for any lucky angel you choose to put in it.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
"I have a 30 gallon (30"L x 12.5"W x 19"H)"

this is a nice set up for an angel.. most 30's are shorter and longer
sounds like you have a good plan.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
The general rule of thumb is 10 gallons per adult angel - so your set up is fine and should do quite well for any lucky angel you choose to put in it.
I disagree, an angel obviously can't go into a 10, and 2 angels in a 20 isn't going to work either.

You should be fine, another centerpiece to look into would be a pair of German Blue Rams if you up the temp a degree or two. They look stunning in any tank, and I believe that Petco and Petsmart have started to carry them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store