Pregnant platy pooping alot!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rdjf1345

AC Members
Feb 3, 2011
ok well im pretty sure my platy is pregnant.

i dont know if i should put her in a breeder net just yet.

she is pooping aloooot! i dont know if thats a sign that shes gonna give birth. (someone told me it was on yahoo answers)

what should i do?:help:

bluebomber

AC Members
Jan 4, 2011
Northern Virginia
Try feeding your fish peas. This will clean out their system if they are having problems. If poop isn't the problem, then you will have some nice fry on the way!

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
You can tell if shes about to give birth by how big her belly is. If she has a purple spot behind her belly it means she is pregnant. (This is called the gravid spot) When her belly starts to get HUGE and look almost squarish she will be about to give birth.

I've found that by putting an aqua-clear filter sponge over my HOB's intake tube and putting lots of java moss in the tank I can have some fry survive. (Yes, this is a community tank that I do it in, and I've found a couple fry already)

bluebomber

AC Members
Jan 4, 2011
Northern Virginia
I get platy fry all the time. It's hard to keep up with them (sometimes I'll get 15 fry in one shot). Lots of plants helps, especially java moss. I never used to put a sponge on my filter intake, and I never had a problem. You'll soon end up with tons of fish.

rdjf1345

AC Members
Feb 3, 2011
yea i thinks theres something wrong with their digestive system...

i have a male mickey mouse and he looks pregnant all the time.

how should i go about giving them peas?
just boil it and drop it in there?

bluebomber

AC Members
Jan 4, 2011
Northern Virginia
I boil the peas, let them cool, and then I squeeze the insides out of the shell/case. Sometimes they ignore it, but other times they eat it fast.

Platy's are pretty robust, and can go some time without food. Try limiting their daily feedings, and see if this helps as well. They will stuff themselves with every little bit of food you put in their tank.

rdjf1345

AC Members
Feb 3, 2011
oh ok thanks :)

so should i stop feeding 3 times a day like the instructions say on the flakes?

srry for all these questions lol im new to this hehe...

Michel

AC Members
Apr 23, 2010
lol...they want to sell food...three times a day is extreme. Once a day is enough and even then people tend to overfeed. A fish stomach is roughly the size of one of its eyes on average so figure how little food they actually need to have a full meal.

bluebomber

AC Members
Jan 4, 2011
Northern Virginia
I feed mine once or twice daily, and only put in enough food that it takes them about 2 min to finish. They go without food if I go away for up to 4 days (not very often), and they always look great and happy when I come home.

rdjf1345

AC Members
Feb 3, 2011
woah! 4 days?! lol... i guess they can go a while without food...

i'll start feeding them a little less hehe...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store