*SIGHS* It's looking like a new parasite

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Optimus

AC Members
Aug 23, 2010
So a while back I had planaria. With advice garnered here I took measures to eliminate them and from time to time still test to see if I have any, but have failed to spot one in months.

Note: I test usually on the weekends if and when I come in late by switching on the T5's. When I had them I could spot them wriggling about quite easily but since drastically cutting down on the amount of food...

However, a week ago I spotted what looked like tiny white discs on the surface of the glass. Initially I thought it was the foot of baby snails since there were only 6 of them and figured I'd let nature take it's course. BUt I spotted them again today (counted 2) and realized that they hadn't grown and were possibly a parasite. I couldn't find anything on google so again, I'm looking to drawn on the experience of you guys.

:confused:

fish-n-chips

AC Members
Oct 29, 2008
N.E. WI
Real Name
C.J.
Do you have any snails in your tank? If so, what kind are they? Any chance of getting a picture?

Optimus

AC Members
Aug 23, 2010
Do you have any snails in your tank? If so, what kind are they? Any chance of getting a picture?
I have an apple snail. I don't have any pics as it was before work. If it is a parasite them I'm going to be pretty P'd off.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i would guess limpets as well.

and i second the notion that if it's not on the fish then it most likely not a parasite.

tolawdjk

AC Members
Sep 8, 2010
Limpets. Just based on the description. Pretty **** harmless. Most they will do is munch on some mulm.

Optimus

AC Members
Aug 23, 2010
Are limpets caused by over feeding?

I read somewhere that they are a sign of good health in your aquarium.

tolawdjk

AC Members
Sep 8, 2010
An explosion of limpets might be attributable to over feeding, but I think you would be more likely to see other things like planaria.

Limpets, in my experience, are more a sign of a healthy planted tank. You find them in pretty much every one I've seen, but they usually don't "explode" in population like bladder/pond/ramshorns.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
all three of my planted tanks are really healthy and i am limpet-less, and i tend to overfeed 'just a tad', lol.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
all three of my planted tanks are really healthy and i am limpet-less, and i tend to overfeed 'just a tad', lol.
Well they are pretty small and not nearly as noticeable as regular snails. I didn't think I had any either until I saw one on an Anubias leaf the other day. Haven't seen anymore so not sure if it was just the one or if the fish keep picking them off. My fish do love snails. :D

But it does seem like one of those creatures that could easily be in a tank without the owner ever knowing about it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store