What do you do after breeding you Cichlids?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nemesis099

Registered Member
Jan 31, 2011
I just got back into having a fish tank after a decade without one. I'm starting small with a 10 gallon for my son with a few Mollys and I'm looking to get a large one around 90 gallons or larger for the wife and I.

Anyhow my wife likes the idea of breeding fish as a hobby. Granted I will be doing all the work and I realize that I would need to also sell/give the baby fish away or else they will overcrowd my tank.

My question what is the best way to get these fish to good homes?

I've read that some sell them to LFS or sell them online. While I would probably have just one pair of fish breeding I don't want to have a slow death because of overcrowding.

For those interested I'm looking into breeding Oscars, Jack Demps, or Green Terrors. My wife doesn't want the Oscars and was looking to see what other Chichlids she wants.

The tank size will depend on what we are breeding so please don't chime in saying the tank is too small as I plan on getting the largest tank I can.

Thanks and this is my first post so if this has been covered I'm sorry I did a search but didn't really find concrete information.

Also my location is near Baltimore if that makes a difference.

Jim in Michiana

Tanganyikan Lover
Feb 23, 2009
LaPorte, Indiana
I just got back into having a fish tank after a decade without one. I'm starting small with a 10 gallon for my son with a few Mollys and I'm looking to get a large one around 90 gallons or larger for the wife and I.

Anyhow my wife likes the idea of breeding fish as a hobby. Granted I will be doing all the work and I realize that I would need to also sell/give the baby fish away or else they will overcrowd my tank.

My question what is the best way to get these fish to good homes?

I've read that some sell them to LFS or sell them online. While I would probably have just one pair of fish breeding I don't want to have a slow death because of overcrowding.

For those interested I'm looking into breeding Oscars, Jack Demps, or Green Terrors. My wife doesn't want the Oscars and was looking to see what other Chichlids she wants.

The tank size will depend on what we are breeding so please don't chime in saying the tank is too small as I plan on getting the largest tank I can.

Thanks and this is my first post so if this has been covered I'm sorry I did a search but didn't really find concrete information.

Also my location is near Baltimore if that makes a difference.
While Aquaria Central is an excellent forum, you might want to try reading "*******************". It's a very active forum with most members operating in your general vicinity. Get an idea of fish that are in demand, what fish are available, and which ones you would like........ Then fill the tanks, turn on the Barry White albums, and sit back whilst they do their "thang" !!!!

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
You could keep a suitable predatory fish in the tank with the breeders to control fry. Just about any cichlid species will produce more fry than anyone wants or needs, and once a pair starts spawning they usually keep going for months. Larger species will produce several hundred eggs each spawn, and may lay as many as 1000 or more at a time when the females max out in size.

nemesis099

Registered Member
Jan 31, 2011
While Aquaria Central is an excellent forum, you might want to try reading "*******************". It's a very active forum with most members operating in your general vicinity. Get an idea of fish that are in demand, what fish are available, and which ones you would like........ Then fill the tanks, turn on the Barry White albums, and sit back whilst they do their "thang" !!!!
Thanks for the site referrence I'll check it out and see what they know.

nemesis099

Registered Member
Jan 31, 2011
You could keep a suitable predatory fish in the tank with the breeders to control fry. Just about any cichlid species will produce more fry than anyone wants or needs, and once a pair starts spawning they usually keep going for months. Larger species will produce several hundred eggs each spawn, and may lay as many as 1000 or more at a time when the females max out in size.
I had thought of this but I'm worried about tank size and water filtration. I had thought about having two Green Terrors and an Oscar thinking the Oscar wouldn't have issues with the Green Terrors and the Green Terrors wouldn't be able to bother the Oscar.

Also most sites recommend having the breeding fish in a tank by themselves.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store