Angelfish wiggler care

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishie111

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Hi all:

I have had angelfish wigglers for the last couple of days in my 120G. I need to clean the tank, but I am not sure how to do it as the angelfish have moved the wigglers to only about 3 inches below the waterline. Is there anyway to do the water change without disturbing them?

I usually use a submersible pump to drain the water and a python to do the gravel vacuum and filling.

BTW, it's amazing how 2 angelfish can "own" more than half of the tank when they want to.

ponderingky

AC Members
Sep 24, 2009
Ashland, KY
I have some of mine spawn in my 95 "club med" tank (it is where I house my potential breeders). If they get them to wigglers, I simply remove the wigglers using a tube to suck them out of the tank and into a gallon jar with an air hose and something to keep the wigglers off the bottom (I have a jar with guppy grass - they stick right to it). I have a batch from a smokey/clown pair that I just took out yesterday. If you don't have another place to put the wigglers,you need to wait until they move them again or until they are free swimmers.

That's what I do anyway, hope it helps.

fishie111

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Would a regular gravel vac work to sucj them out, and then perhaps I could put them in a 10 gallon tank or even 2.5 gallon tank with guppy grass or floating java moss?

ponderingky

AC Members
Sep 24, 2009
Ashland, KY
Hey fishie,

Absolutely - its what I use. I just take the big plastic tube off and use the hose attached to it. Just take the water from the tank and put it in the smaller tank with the moss/grass. I have a shallow white container I use to suck the wigglers into from the main tank. They are easier to see against the white background. I take a pipette and suck the wigglers into it and then gently blow them over the grass/moss so they stick to it. They should stay pretty much that way until they get ready to free swim. You may have to play "angel poppa" for a bit and chase down the strays and put them back on the moss. It is a lot of fun and very rewarding. Now you will need to get your baby brine shrimp hatchery ready - babies gotta eat! :goldfish:

Kerry121774

AC Members
Mar 2, 2010
RI
Hi Andy! I just wanted to let you know that a black angel that I bought from you back in August paired up with an angel I already had. VERY EXCITING! They've mated several times but usually ate them! This last time they let them get to wigglers!! I used a turkey baster to suck some out and left some for the parents. I made the mistake of putting them in a fry net......the other fish sucked them out! But I am very hopeful and I will use your idea with the guppy grass...I have a critter container I can use.

ponderingky

AC Members
Sep 24, 2009
Ashland, KY
Hey Kerry - that is awesome! So I guess that makes me a fish grandpa now! Hopefully you can get them to parent raise and you won't have to fool with them any more until you are ready to move them to grow outs. I have 4 pairs going right now and all are parent raisers - so much easier. Let me know how it goes.

Thanks for the update,

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store