My Oscar Has Sunk.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Nah seriously he has and I don't know why. Like he just stays at the bottom and doesn't come to the top to beg for food anymore. It looks at me but it just sits there swim in place with its belly on the bottom or not swimming at all just sitting still. Ive placed food right infront of him but he ignores it.

One thing I have noticed is the lack of fecal matter. I got him solo and he hasn't pooped. Also I notice whenever I do water changes he tends to give off a huge poopy but besides that I dont see him poop. Could he have something wrong like a birth defect in his intestinal tract? He has never given out normal looking poops as far as its shape goes or size. Not sure what I should do now. I would hate to lose my Oscar.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
if he's in good weight then i'd fast him for a few days to see if there may be a blockage causing constipation. try feeding some peas soaked in garlic juice at the end of those few days. also do daily water changes during this time, since it sounds like he tends to poop during a water change (my oscar poops like a maniac during water changes too!).

have you shuffled any new fish through his tank in the past few months? if so, he could have contracted a parasite from them, making him feel yucky and not wanting to eat.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
He looks a lil chunky and I havent fed him in like 3days so far since Ive noticed the odd behavior. Also only stock Ive moved is my L-001 from the 53 gallon in which it shared a home with the Oscar. So now the Oscar is living solo since the pleco was harrasing him prior to the sinking. So I moved it out so the Oscar could rest without being harrassed.

Pea's I'm gonna pick some of those up after work. Garlic juice yay (Garlic Smells). See how that goes. I'll end up doing his WC tomorrow after work as well. He is due for one. I've never had to deal with a constipated fish. All my oscars in that past use to eat and poop like crazy this one eats like crazy but doesn't poop all crazy. Previous Oscars were fed Goldfish (Prior Knowledge Days) were as this one is fed prepared foods.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Ok so I did a WC right now and well now my Oscar has decided to lay on his side. He has yet to poop and is refusing anything that I place in the tank. For some reason I think I may lose my lil guy. This bites.

Taysius

Research first, buy later.
Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
Sorry to hear that it isn't looking good for your guy. :(

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Sucks. Wish the guy would just poop and all would be fine. Figures Ide find an awesome looking fish just to have it pass away not from dirty water or disease or parasites but from constipation

Taysius

Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
I think I have read about using Epsom salt for constipation in fish? I could be wrong, but you might want to look into it just for last efforts maybe.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Hmmm I look that up. Cuz I was gonna do the pea's but he is ignoring everything in the tank. He finally decided to right himself but is still grounded.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
how long has it been? I would wait it out. My oscar sulked like that for 6 weeks after I took away a tankmate (a bichir that he appeared to hate). In fact, EVERY time i do ANYTHING to the tank (rearrange, etc) he pouts like that.

Is he eating? You sure he isn't pooping? Got a pic of the "bloating"? I am just not a fan of medicating unless its really necessary

Taysius

Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
Any updates on this guy?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store