Discus... with rams?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
I have a 75 gallon and I'm getting ready to upgrade by 7 young discus into, as soon as I can catch and remove all the fry from the 75.
My LFS has some electric blue rams - they're beautiful fish! I'm thinking down the road I may look into adding a couple of these to the 75 gallon discus tank when it's planted up. Aside from that, there will be my santarem plecos or mega clown plecos (not sure which I'm moving in there yet) and some brigg snails.
I haven't had rams before... are these appropriate tankmates? I'm just wondering if this would be a good or bad idea.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i have read and seen that rams and discus go well together, but i think at 7 discus plus plecos and briggs in a 75 you're full up stocking wise already, if not a tad overstocked once everyone is adult size.

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
i have read and seen that rams and discus go well together, but i think at 7 discus plus plecos and briggs in a 75 you're full up stocking wise already, if not a tad overstocked once everyone is adult size.
Oh really? I thought discus need 5-8 gallons as an adult fish. Mine would have 11 gallons per fish. Plus 6 or so briggs will add a minute amount of bioload (which the plants would more than make up for I'd think). Then there's my 4 hypans, but they stay quite small, much smaller than a bn. I can't imagine they'd add much bioload. Aren't rams small as well? I didn't think with two rams I'd be pushing my stocking. Never crossed my mind.

I'm definitely up for more opinions on this. Am I overstocking?

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
briggs are pretty messy snails, and poop a lot when cared for properly.

i would give each discus at least 10 gallons. they are a good size fish once full grown and will thrive best when given ample space. 5 to 8 gallons IMO is not enough per fish. think of it this way: would you put one full grown discus in a 5 to 8 gallon tank?

and a 75 gallon doesn't equate to 11 gallons per discus. it'd be closer to 8 gallons once you factor in the 'gallonage' required for the other creatures in the tank. briggs want at least 1 gallon per snail, and although your plecos are a smaller species, they too will create a fair amount of waste.

it's not so much the space given to the fish, but the water volume and the capacity for a clean environment between water changes once you factor in the species living in the tank. if you had a sump on that tank that was at least half the size of the 75, then i'd say go for the rams, since your total water volume is more than 75 gallons.

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
I have seen full grown discus (and they're beautiful - that's when I decided to try discus), so I know they get very large. I do think 5-8 gallons is on the small side, which is why I chose 7 for a 75 gallon. But I also thought that would give a little bit of room for some smaller fish that would stay out of the discus way and still allow them their swimming space - such as the plecos and maybe rams would. They'd help clean up the blackworms that hit the substrate too.
Of course I wouldn't put a discus in a 5 to 8 gallon tank, nor would I put one in a 10, 15 or 20 gallon, so I think that's a silly way to look at this picture. This isn't an inch of fish per gallon talk.
My concern at this point is water quality, if I'm legitimately looking at a stocking issue and I'd like to address it now before I get the tank going. Whether or not I add two rams is kind of on a side note now - am I really on the verge of poor water quality or my fish not having the swimming space they need? I would like to know that now. I may rethink my whole plan if it's really that tight. I appreciate the info.
My filtration is 2- aquaclear 500/110s and I change 50% of my tank water weekly.

I do want to add that I'm not asking what my fish will survive in, but what they need to swim around happy and healthy. That's my primary concern for them. I didn't think I was overstocking, but if I am I'd like to be sure before I proceed.

Last edited:

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
7-8 Discus will fit in a 75..adding plecos will affect the tank some..plecos are known to produce large amounts of waste...
average adult discus usually hit the 6" range..dinner plate sized Discus are not really the norm for Discus.

but in a 75 with a relatively high stock ratio.. you should really consider 2-3 Water changes per week. opposed to 1 large water change.
plus look at upgrading the filtration.. there are several affordable canister filters on the market(sunsun)
currently in my 75 I have 3 large discus and a runt.
this tank originally housed 7 Discus but over the years some had been moved around(aggression, pairs etc)

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
Thanks - the aquaclears do great filtration for a HOB, but I may consider getting a canister for that tank. I considered putting the discus in a 90 gallon I have, however the 75 gallon with a black stand and canopy will make a much nicer display tank.
As the discus grow, increasing their water changes to twice a week isn't an issue.
I've also been pondering the idea of rehoming my malawi cichlids someday that reside in a 125 gallon built in my wall, which has a nice FX5 canister filter, and putting my discus in there when they grow up. That would be a couple years down the road and is still a big "if" at this point. Not sure I can give up those fish.
Just wanted to make sure I'm not setting myself up for failure or unhappy fish with my current plan.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
with proper maintenance you can keep them in the 75.. it will require more maint than a single water change per week tho and as long as you are willing to make the sacrifice then you should be ok

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
With 14 tanks running, my daughter and I are doing water changes all the time anyway. Adding one more water change to the routine isn't going to be a big deal. I spend all my free time messing with the tanks anyway.

Temptress

Total Newbie
Mar 12, 2009
Minnesota
I too think this is fine, discus aren't exactly a "swimming" fish anyway, so I wouldn't be too concerned about the swim room aspect of it my discus move from plant to plant picking at things and looking around but I never see them doing laps or anything.

I would be more concerned about the briggs being in the tank at all tho, briggs need cooler temps than discus, especially younger discus wanting the 86* temps, I learned from experience that they don't fair well.. I lost all my briggs before I believed it was true =( I would try nerite snails.. that's what I have in my tanks now.. amazing algae eaters and they can't reproduce (most species) in freshwater!

I do think the only concern here is regular water changes and it seems like you're more than willing to throw in an extra one so no worries! Not to mention the plants help a ton with water quality! =)

Rams and discus go great together! They both love the warm temps and clean water =)

HTH

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store