New to Cichlids....need help identifying these fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cmjdjm1

AC Members
Feb 10, 2011
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Real Name
Chris
Evening everyone! Now please keep in mind Im completely new to cichlids. I recently got ahold of some cichlids and need help in knowing what they are so I can best take care of them. The blue one I think is an Ice Blue Red Top I think, Yellow one Im not too sure because the sides have flecks of blue in it depending on the angle you see it at. The striped ones I was told were SP44's and are starting to get yellow between the stripes, and the other kind Im completely clueless. Its kind of an orangy peach colour with a tinge of blue near the head, and more orange on the fins. Ive only had them a few weeks now, but they seem to be doing real well. Nothing floating yet! lol Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_0203.JPG IMG_0207.JPG IMG_0211.JPG IMG_0219.JPG IMG_0221.JPG

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
First pic is a Metriaclima greshakei (zebra red top), second/third pics do look like a vic, so the Hap Sp. 44 sounds reasonable, fourth pic is a yellow labidochromis (who looks a bit bloaty), and the last pic is another greshakei.

cmjdjm1

AC Members
Feb 10, 2011
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Real Name
Chris
Thanks for the quick reply. What do you mean vic? As for the yellow one, I don't think he has bloat. He's still very active, and hasn't changed his eating habit at all. I've been feeding them twice a day light meals (as the previous owner did) I'll definitely keep an eye on it though to be sure. I've been keeping a close eye on all of them actually for any signs of stress etc.. from the move from their old home to their new one here.

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
Vics are Victoria basin cichlids. Your other fish are Lake Malawi mbuna. Make sure the mbuna get a diet that has a lot of veggies and are not fed high protein foods.

cmjdjm1

AC Members
Feb 10, 2011
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Real Name
Chris
Any particular veggies to give them and how often? How would i be able to give the ones that like veggies what they like, and the ones that like proteins the stuff they like? **** cichlids are so confusing!

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
Zucchini, dark leafy veggies, green beans, etc, are good veggies to feed. You can blanch or freeze the veggies first to soften them up if you want. A high quality food with lower protein content will be good for the mbuna. The one that doesn't fit dietary wise is the Hap Sp 44, as it is a carnivore. It should still be fine with a well balanced pellet though. I like to feed NLS and the veggie FX dainichi for mbuna.

cmjdjm1

AC Members
Feb 10, 2011
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Real Name
Chris
okay, thanks for all your help. Although veggies usually never enter my house, i guess I'll have to buy some! lol Do you think maybe a bag of frozen peas would be good? Im sure they'd be soft for them once they were thawed out

rtbob

AC Members
Jul 22, 2010
Austin, TX
Real Name
Bob
I feed my Mbuna Omega One Veggie Flakes or the Super Veggie Flakes as their staple.

Petsmart has it here.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store