Fungal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kjenber

AC Members
Jan 8, 2006
MI
I think my hippo has this ...

Marine Fungus
Other Names: Ichthyophonus, CNS Disease
Symptoms: Darkening in color, sandpaper appearance of skin, poor appetite, listlessness.
Comments: This disease is usually associated with stress, sometimes brought on by poor water quality. This is not a very common disease and treatment is very difficult. The fungus is usually introduced into the tank when adding new animals.
Treatment: Treatment for this disease is difficult. Improve the environment and remove any possible causes of stress. Try a proprietary anti-fungal medication in a hospital tank. Food soaked in phenoxetol can also be effective if the fish is eating.
Prevention: Insure good water quality and temperature parameters to prevent animals from getting stressed. Stress breaks down the protective mucous coating on a fish and allows the fungus to gain a foothold. Additionally, any new fish should be given a short freshwater bath and kept in a quarantine tank for two to three weeks before being introduced into the main aquarium

MY TANG DEFFINATLY DOSE NOT HAVE ICH IVE BEEN DOWN THAT ROAD AND BACK TWICE OVER .

1.CAN I TREET MY TANK WITH FUNGAL MEDICATION THAT HAS L,R ?

2.IS IT AS HARMFULL AS SOME OF THE ICH TREATMENTS ?

3.CAN I OD MY FISH WITH FUNGAL MEDICATION ?​

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Vid/Pics possible?

Whatever it/they maybe, Would not do it in main tank but in q/t.

You have most of the answers in your post provided it is what you may think it is as it is close to impossible to correctly diagnose, especially internal fungal infection.
For I know, it may be something totally different with similar visible symptoms. Skin flukes maybe??

Check the eyes closely and post if you see anything abnormal.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store