Looking for a centerpiece fish with Tiger Barbs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Alwaysusa

AC Members
Jan 4, 2011
Hey all,

In another thread I asked for stocking advice on a 56g tall tank (30L x 18W x 24H). The tank is fairly well planted and has 6 Tiger Barbs currently.

A Firemouth was recommended to me, and after some research I think I could really get into them. I love the look and shape, but my reading has been mixed - some good and peaceful, some very aggressive. I also wanted Corys, which seems to be a potential issue with Firemouths and some other cichlids as well.

So, any advice on what might make a good center piece fish for such a community? It will be a single, and preferably colorful, bold and reasonably plant friendly.

- Adam

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
A jewel cichlid would probably work. A firemouth may too. Cichlids are not all the same, and very unpredictable. So having a back up plan with whatever you choose would be a good idea. But either of these should be fine with your barbs,and would probably work with corys too in a planted tank.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
How about a Sev?

garyfla

AC Members
Apr 23, 2010
Hi
Thought about increasing the Tigers?? I love them in schools of 15/25. They do shoal in larger groups even more. gary

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Severums get really big, almost as big as discus, your tank is just barely big enough for them. An angelfish might work depending on the nippyness of the barbs...the more barbs you have, the more they keep to each other and don't bother anyone outside of their pecking order. I recommend increasing their numbers as well.

Firemouths are beautiful but they're going to uproot all your substrate, making plant keeping difficult. They can be aggressive. I wouldn't really recommend them as a community fish. Jewel cichlids are some of the most psychotic cichlids, much more aggressive than firemouths. The behavior of just one is sort of unpredictable. They are usually kept in groups, where they pair off easily. That's when the real aggression starts!

Dwarf cichlids (jewels, kribensis, Bolivian rams, German blue rams, etc.) are all a bad fit with cories, they will peck at them every time they come near their territory. Cichlids like angelfish and severums should be fine with them, they are midwater swimmers and don't use the bottom portion of the tank.

Barbs and gouramis get along together well. Geographically, they are from the same region. Most stay near the top/middle and won't bother your plants. I would probably recommend a moonlight gourami or a pearl gourami. Don't get blue or gold gouramis since they can be mean to other fish.

You could also try a paradisefish, they can be somewhat aggressive but not any more than a betta, and they are much stronger swimmers.

Lastly, maybe a Florida flagfish (if you can find them) or a Siamese algae eater? Both are helpful at controlling algae.

Alwaysusa

AC Members
Jan 4, 2011
Awesome! Lots to research.

Thank you very much for the suggestions. Looks like I've got some reading to do!

Hernandezj11

AC Members
Dec 2, 2009
My vote is for the angels. With the tall tank they will really be able to utilize the size of it.

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
FWIW, firemouths are not known to be substrate diggers, and usually do just fine in a planted tank. Both jewels and firemouths have been said to be aggressive. I don't know of any cichlid that won't show some aggressive behavior. But jewels and firemouths are generally along the same lines as angels and dwarfs in the aggressiveness aspect.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
I don't know, I generally trust this website:
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/profile.php?genus=Thorichthys&species=meeki&id=227
Provide a sand or fine gravel substrate, as Firemouths are extensive diggers.

This guy, Rich (Mr. Firemouth) bred firemouths - he's a moderator at my forum:
http://forums.tfhmagazine.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=22739
All Thorichthys are substrate spawners and therefore will dig pits.

The temperament of this fish is relatively docile.

Looks like he's on this forum, as well!
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/blog.php?b=598

I have 10 small Firemouth fry in a 10 gallon right now, they are really too little to exhibit this behavior yet. Maybe just one firemouth wouldn't dig, but I'm sure they dig pits when they prepare for breeding.

Some people say jewels aren't that aggressive, in my experience they've been as bad as mbuna...but check out this article saying they can be in a community:
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/cichlid/jewel.php

They will dig, though, so not so plant friendly.

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
Interesting.....I have kept them,along with some others I know, and have had success with them in planted tanks. Never know them to be diggers. JME.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store