Two Mollies hanging at top of tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ddlbrooks

AC Members
Mar 3, 2010
Flushing, MI
I have two mollies hanging at the top of the tank. It's a 120 gal. tank and I have about 30 fish and these are the only two that are acting like this. I had turned off the aerator for a day since it made feeding difficult. I have a fluval fx5 filter and have one of the spouts going to the surface to move the surface. The tank is also planted with live plants and I do a 25% water changed twice a week. All my numbers are good.

Sigrid

AC Members
Jan 8, 2011
both hands in fish tank
Real Name
Bristlenose
:idea: One of my tanks is a heavily planted 125 gallon tank, and I make 25% water changes once a weekly. Seems enough. *my avatar picture*
Could it be that the Mollies prefer a brackish water and therefore, are having some trouble in the present tank?

ddlbrooks

AC Members
Mar 3, 2010
Flushing, MI
They've been in this tank for a almost a year but I turned the bubbles back on and that seemed to get them away from the top. It just seems strange that with the plants and the filter I have that there wouldn't be enough oxygen.

Sigrid

AC Members
Jan 8, 2011
both hands in fish tank
Real Name
Bristlenose
:thm: Please go to the enclosed website to read up some more.

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/livebearers/molly.php

Mollies got their name from the fact that they used to be in the genus Mollienesia.
For beginners the Short-finned Molly is the best choice as it is the most durable, least demanding, and needs the least space. The next best choice is a cross breed of Short-finned and Sailfin. The Sailfin Mollies, though often more peaceful, are a bit more challenging to keep. In general all mollies are peaceful, though it has been noted that behavior is very individual, and occasionally you will get a fish that can be quite ornery.
All Mollies need an aquarium that is well planted and not overcrowded. It is suggested that you add a little salt and that you provide lots of algae and other vegetable foods. The use of breeder traps is hazardous to these fish, and it is recommended that you provide floating plant cover for the fry instead.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store