FIN ROT :( ... again

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

abisheridee

fish noob!
Nov 21, 2009
Lincolnshire, UK
This is the guy that had ich when I got him back from the shop. He survived that and has been a little champion since, a real character always flashing at the front of the tank for pellets :grinyes:

BUT on monday I noticed his tail had GONE... the light in the tank has gone (it's an aquael bowl, and light replacements for it are hard to find) and has been off for a while so I haven't had a good look at him (I've been feeding and talking to him every day but haven't noticed any gradual loss of fins, it seemed to be overnight. I thought maybe one of my cories had gone carnivorous and taken his tail off, or he'd caught himself on something but I dosed with finrot med just in case and did a 50% WC, and have been dosing daily since to no avail... and now ALL of his fins except his arm fins have gone. I've just put him in a 1.5L jar so I can manage him and keep the water pure, but I don't know what else I can do and just need a few tips really. My last fighter in that bowl died of finrot after a long long battle with it, but my cories are unaffected which is weird. The bowl was sterilised afterwards and substrate/filter stuff changed BUT I've been using the same gravel vac and tube to do WCs so I think this is how I re-introduced it.

Just so gutted he's got it too now and that it's happened so quickly, need a bit of advice on the best way to help him.

The pic attached is him now, in his jar. There's a plant in there and the brown background is an almond leaf.

Apologies for length.

IMAG0141.jpg

JK_Fish

AC Members
Oct 2, 2010
Ga
that sounds and looks like tail biting, which could have been caused by stress, or maybe he didn't like the lights constantly being off. Keep your water warm, around 80*, make sure he's on a good diet (to help him grow his tail back quickly), and keep his water clean. Keep an eye on him, sometimes tail biting is a one time thing, but sometimes it becomes a habit.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Dont know if had tankmates, but if no tankmate & suspect finrot, would not mess with temp at this time as long as temp is @ anywhere above 72-74F and stable. Lower and able the better than high tmep in case of finrot.

What antibiotics are avail with an assumption this is a finrot?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store