Stealth Pro Recall

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
I just ran across this on another forum. Anyone else heard about it from PetSmart or elsewhere? :

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Just received this email from PetSmart

February 11, 2011

Dear Valued PetSmart Pet Parent,

Marineland has issued a voluntary withdrawal of the Stealth PRO Submersible Heater (100, 200 and 250 watt). The product is being withdrawn due to a quality issue.

If you have this product, please stop using it immediately and take the following steps:

1. Unplug the heater from the wall to stop the flow of electricity
2. Let the heater cool for 15 minutes
3. Remove the heater from the tank

Please bring the product to your closest PetSmart for a full refund or exchange. Replace the product with a comparable heater as soon as possible to maintain the temperature of your aquarium. A PetSmart store associate can help you select the right heater for your aquatic environment.

If you have questions about this withdrawal, please call Marineland Customer Service at 800-526-0650 or 800-432-6986.

At PetSmart, we are concerned pet parents, too. We will continue to do everything we can to help you and your pet during this time.

Sincerely,
[/FONT]

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
The first thing that popped into my mind when I read that was, "Hmm...I wonder if anyone wants to sell me their broken heater?" ;)

I'm glad they are doing this. It's about time! They acted very Toyota like about this one.

It was hubris which brought down the Roman empire...

Bgolfer88

AC Members
Feb 17, 2010
Virginia
The issues are pretty huge, like massive overheating. I've read reports of them literally melting and one account of a persons 150 g reef tank exploding out one side from the heater cracking the tank.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I think many of you are getting models of heaters confused....

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Model numbers. lot numbers and time frames of manufacture would go along way to help identify an issue. To many folks here just post a "Marineland" heater issue and the site goes bonkers.

I have tracked 23 different folks having issues with 7 different models of their heaters over 4 yrs here...hardly a major issue, unless you frequent this site. Most other heater issues here, no one bothers to mention name at all.

For the thousands that Marineland sells, I am glad that when they recoginize an issue they are forth right about it. Haven't seen any other heater manufacturer do that.

DrgRcr

AC Members
Dec 17, 2008
Central NJ
You also have to remember though that the count from here is not a true representation of how many there are out there. I've had two different model ML heaters go bad, one a Stealth Pro, and 2 days ago a glass Visitherm. Both stuck off, which makes me very lucky I guess. Neither ever out of the water column during water changes or left on without water. Coincidence, perhaps, but I don't think so. I feel bad for those who have had catastrophic failures.

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
I came home from work to see that email sitting in my inbox...

...and all my tanks run the Stealth Pros. Though 2 of them are the 300w model which does not appear to be one affected.

I've had 2 of my Stealth Pros just stop working. Once killing 3 of my malawi cichlids as I didn't catch the drop in temp in time, and the other one just stuck in the on position, luckily there were no fish in the tank at the time. Both were well under a year old. Both times, Marineland sent me a new replacement heater, without even asking for the old one in return.

I have to say, it's a rare sight in this day and age, seeing a company that both stands by their products, and also takes responsibility when they've made a mistake.

It's business practices like that, that have me standing by the Marineland brand, even after having a couple of bad experiences with their products.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store