MINIMUM TANK SIZES

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RESCUEK9

Registered Member
Feb 5, 2011
When picking fish I have seen minimum tank sizes listed. How exact is this. I have a 55 gal. I want a Red Coris Wrasse and it says minimum tank size is 125 gal. What is the boards experince?

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
The main thing in all this is, you not will have just that one fish, and most young beginners will have as many fish tank inhabitants that they can, so in saying that, you really would need to have even a larger tank then a 125, i would go with nothing smaller then a 240, but in dealing with having fish tank inhabitants that would grow 12"-14" if not larger, even a larger tank would be required. If I was to go with a 125 gal tank, I would not cage in such a tank, species that grow so large, it would be like holding a Queen trigger fish in a 125 for it will grow a inch a month after a short while and reach a size to which a 125 would be way too small a tank for it too swim about.

So the idea here for you, that is if your the idea to maintain such larger marine species to first list your marine selection and then discuss what be the best size tank to hold that number of fish and look as well into their normal growth. Also do be aware that groupers will ambush their tank mates, so if your to go with a single grouper species, add it last.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I've always hated the term 'minimum' tank size for a fish. I think 'recommended tank size' would be a much better alternative for obvious reasons.

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
Good dealers have to state a minimum to protect themselves from naive, or in some cases - stupid, customers.

Recommended tank size for a Red Coris Wrasse is 125 gallons or more.
Minimum is 125.
rescue09 want to know why they can't put one in a 55.
I consider that rescue09 is asking to be a big plus in their column.
Many would simply purchase and complain about the crappy dealer in a couple of months.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store