sunsun help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ll1542

AC Members
Jan 22, 2011
Hi i have sunsun question. I just got mine and I was following the post and lubing it up and stuff and I think it leaked some kind of lubricant on our floor. this seemed odd to me but it smells kind of like wd40 but with the feel of an oil. Are these things lubricated in such a manner. Does anyone know if it is possible for this to happen. I think it may be something else but I want to rule this out. Also, it runs well but I loose suction and have to re-prime after a few hours any ideas on this as well? thank you for your help.

Alwaysusa

AC Members
Jan 4, 2011
Not sure about the lubricant. Mine (an HW302) had some traces of lubricant around the impeller housing, but very little I had to wipe off.

For the priming - you have probably check all of these but just in case:

• Make sure the inlet/outlet socket that locks into the top of the impeller housing is firmly seated, and that the on/off lever is down (against the unit). I don't think you'll hear it lock, but it does seat fully so push down fairly hard.
  • Tighten the hoses, especially at the inlet/outlet socket mentioned above.
  • Check for kinks in the hoses which may be making the pump work harder than it should.
  • Check that the inlet pipe in the tank is tight. Mine is not very watertight at all, and if any of the connection pieces are above the water line I lose suction.
  • Check that the lid is firmly seated and snapped in place. It is possible to snap all 4 of the locking brackets onto the canister without it being fully seated.
  • Check for noise in the canister when it's running. It may have a large air pocket or a sticking impeller.
  • Is the canister well below the tank? When testing mine in the kitchen sink it took me a bit to figure out why it wasn't running for more than a few minutes - the canister was too close to the sink. I put the canister on the floor (about 20 inches lower than the sink) and that fixed it.

ll1542

AC Members
Jan 22, 2011
every few seconds I hear it make kind of a swooshing noise in the pump. If I have a large air pocket in the pump how do i deal with it. It is working fine now but does make that noise every so often.

Alwaysusa

AC Members
Jan 4, 2011
I hear a swooshing noise as well - but only about every 5 minutes or so. It's probably an air pocket, but doesn't seem to be a big issue. If you're getting one every few seconds though it's going to put some wear and tear on your pump.

Is the pump drawing in air as well as water? Like I said, the connection on the inlet pipes are pretty loose and if one of them is above the water line the pump will still pull up water but it will also pull in air - that may be the cause of the air pockets. Other than that - I'm stumped.

thebrandon

I like fish
Jan 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
canisters will just about always have trapped air in them. My cascade 1000 used to get air trapped in it every now and then I would just wobble it form side to side, I've heard it works with the sunsun's as well. If you are having to reprime the thing every few hours chances are you have air entering the system somewhere, which could also mean a leak somewhere.

I'd follow that guide that Alwaysusa posted.

Inglorious

AC Members
Aug 26, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Try giving it a firm shake to try to expel any air that is trapped inside, also if you are using the skimmer attachment in the intake make sure it is free floating with the water surface and not getting stuck above the water line. If that happens then the intake will draw in air and break the syphon. A little light sanding on the male end of the skimmer attachment should help it slide better if it's sticking.

rainbowcharmer

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
East Coast, USA
When I was using the skimmer attachment, I was having the same issues. I finally took it off and capped that intake spot, and I've not had the same issues since then. When I do a w/c, I sometimes end up with air in the filter, and gently rocking it side to side helps to get the air out. It will make the swooshing noise a few times while I do that, but clears up pretty quickly.

Good luck and hope you get it sorted out. I've got 3 of these and really like them a lot. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store