Any Idea's on Serpentine Fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ashers

AC Members
Jan 12, 2011
canada
Real Name
Ashley
I'm thinking of starting up a new tank, and this time I want to figure out exactly what I want and buy a tank the right size. I was disappointed to find out how limited I was when I bought my 37 gal and realized a good portion of the fish I liked would be too big for it. I got that all sorted out, settled with smaller types of fish and am quite happy with it and its occupants now, but now i wanna try for the fish I wanted at the beginning.
I'm really interested in the weather loaches, rope fish and bichir. Another type of fish I'm all starry eyed for is the Denison Barb.

What I am wondering is if any of these would work together and what size a tank I would need (I am thinking along the lines of a 55-75 gallon but I am flexible). Also if anyone had any ideas on other types of fish that would work with one or two of these fish or fish that are along the same idea as these, that would be awesome.

Ashers

AC Members
Jan 12, 2011
canada
Real Name
Ashley
I was also wondering if anyone had any experience with these fish, any tips? what set up do you have with them?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'd think a 75g with 3 weather loaches & 5-6 p. denisonii would work temp-wise. The barbs are the only ones that I have, they seem a bit more nervous than other barbs I've had. A tight lid is a must for both.

Ashers

AC Members
Jan 12, 2011
canada
Real Name
Ashley
thanks for the input...when i was doing more research i realized the same thing, weather loaches and denisoni barbs tend to like cooler water, and rope fish and bichirs tend to like more temperate water. looks like I'll have to choose between a pair of either/or though I'm still not sure if ropefish and bichirs would work together, even though they are in the same family. depending on which i choose, a 75 gal tank for the weather loach/denisonii or a 90 gal tank for the rope fish/bichir. thanks for the tip, research says a tight lid is a must for all of the fish I'm interested in....what is your experiance with the densonii barb?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
The barbs are more jumpy & tend to be fragile after shipping, I've lost 3 or 4 in QT & 1 smashed into the glass lid, I have only 3 now. Definately wait a couple weeks after they arrive at lfs, let them take the expensive losses.
Weather loaches are illegal in my state but I may be moving soon so those, the barbs & white clouds (also illegal) are on my short list. Weather loaches, from all I've read, are often bred as food fish & health may be an issue, examine them carefully. You can keep both the gold +/or speckled as they are the same social species.

Ashers

AC Members
Jan 12, 2011
canada
Real Name
Ashley
awesome thanks for the advice. ^_^....luckily for me all of the fish I am considering are available at my lfs and I am quite happy with the heath of their fish, and they always quarantine their new arrivals, which i haven't seen in a few other lfs around here

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store