what kind of eel is this?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MotionInSilver

AC Members
Nov 14, 2007
MFK no responses but thought maybe here have better luck on ID I thought it was a peacock at first but not even sure anymore what it is.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Spiney eels are all wild-caught imports, and there are many, many species that are seldom imported but turn up as an oddball in a shipment. Best bet is to determine the origin (if possible; if it came along with a load of peacocks, etc.), and figure the same requirements as other species from the same region. Also, hope it doesn't grow into a monster, most of the oddballs do grow much larger than peacock eels.

MotionInSilver

AC Members
Nov 14, 2007
MFKer ID'd it 100% as mastacembelus Dayii a stunning looking eel once full grown so I'm going to give it a shot and keep it with my clown loaches and see how it goes!

My first eel keeping experience as never tried to keep them or had interest in them until this one came in with the loaches. Whoo! Thanks!

thebrandon

I like fish
Jan 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
very cool fish there. Seems like they are a bit moody and grow to a nice size as well! They look great when they are full grown.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Looks like a zigzag eel. Much smaller cousin to the fire eel and tire track eel....mastacembalus circumcinctus.

Mark

MotionInSilver

AC Members
Nov 14, 2007
Looks like a zigzag eel. Much smaller cousin to the fire eel and tire track eel....mastacembalus circumcinctus.

Mark
thanks for your input but I'll go with Mastacembalus dayii as the M. Circumcinctus isn't close in person my photo skills is crappy at its finest lol

MotionInSilver

AC Members
Nov 14, 2007
You do need to completely and tightly cover the tank, or you'll have eel jerky.

Yep, reducing the water line to 2'' per MFK suggestion. and am going to work on screenings over the weekend. maybe create filter guard.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store