malaysian trumpet snails HELP!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AwesomeM96

AC Members
Jan 15, 2011
Real Name
Michael
I was wondering, what is the growth rate and breeding rate of malaysian trumpet snails. The experiment is within a month and i am testing how different water parameters (pH, alkalinity, depth, ect.) and substrate depth affect snail growth and breeding.

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
the answer to your question ("what is the growth rate and breeding rate ofmalaysian trumpet snails") is HIGH!!11omgwtf!! and I am not sure any of the parameters makes the slightest difference in the outcome. They appear to be born pregnant. At least I got only one that snuck in on a shipment of baby red cherry shrimp and was about the same size of 1/4 inch or less. It is now an inch and a half long or so and now I have dozens since that was aquired about 5 months ago.

and a single assassin snail does not seem remotely capable of handling the issue. In fact I think the Malaysians may have eaten IT. :(

daniel89

AC Members
Dec 16, 2009
I have 3 inch sand substrate I think, and I have a MTS out break. I remember seeing one or two about 2 months ago. I woke up one day and said OMGWTFWTHZ0MG there are hundreds! Halps! :( They seem to only disturbed the first half inch of sand on the top. Funny thing is my mom thinks they are cuter than ramshorns so she captured some and put them in her tank lmao. So I bought 3 clown loaches :) We will see how it works

MacMyers

AC Members
Sep 14, 2010
Palm Harbor, FL
Real Name
Mac Myers
Assassin Snails work very well. How big is the tank?

jabo01

Dec 23, 2009
Hemet, California
MTS that I have grow way too fast, I remove hundreds every few weeks from all my tanks. but they are all over in the substrate, I also started with one hitchhiker and thought this would be neat, I dont think that any more. I did warn you XanAvaloni about those

sgtpooper

Registered Member
Mar 28, 2011
Our tank has been positively overrun by these guys. At first we tried to thin them out, but like one poster said, these babies are born pregnant! Eventually we gave over and learned to love them, but you'll probably never be rid of them so try not to lose your mind. If it helps, we have a second tank with crayfish who can gobble up hundreds of the smaller ones in a sitting. When they get to be too much, we put something alluring for them in a small mason jar attached to a string and then go to bed. By morning there's a nice big batch of them ready to be transferred, or in your case lobbed.
Also, I know they're a pain, but our short lived foray into keeping red eyed puffer fish resulted a lot fewer MTS. They love the little ones like crazy!

Trail_Mix

AC Members
May 16, 2011
I literally had over a hundred of them in my 20g long, they were crawling all around the tank even during the day, which was weird because I thought they were supposed to be nocturnal. A lot of times when I looked in my tank I would see what looked like a giant snail orgy, which it essentialy was, or must have been, cause now there are thousands (okay, maybe not thousands, but definitely hundreds) of baby MTS. I don't know how fast they grow, but they are like the size of a speck of sand right now so they're not an eyesore. Nonetheless, I was worried that this was gonna continue exponentially, so I got 5 assassin snails from msjinkzd, (did you know they're actually whelks, not snails? I dunno, I thought that was interesting), and less than a week later I barely see them anymore, it's crazy! I also got some amanos, nerites, and other shrimp, and they were all awesome and really healthy, you guys should definitely check out her website, she's got lots of cool stuff!

Still, I do wanna know, how fast do they grow? Now I'm worrying the assassins are going to run out of food! lol

jayla2251

AC Members
Jul 1, 2012
Wichita, KS
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Jayla
They overpopulate by over feeding. If they are not being fed, they won't produce. I put them in every tank I own. :)
And I agree that I don't think just 1 month is long enough to see.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store