Using Canister Filter for C02 Reactor... Is this BAD for the canister? A CFS-500

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Buff

Former Squid
Oct 5, 2010
The Hills of NW Georgia
Real Name
Buff
While waiting for my Ceramic Diffuser to come from Hong Kong, I've had the C02 tubing inserted into the grill on my canister's intake. I can immediately count the bubbles going in and I have no bubbles in the filter's discharge. I can make my fish start snorkeling if I go over 3 bps, so I know it's efficiently diffusing the C02. The canister is an Odyssea CFS500.

Will this damage my canister? The filter impeller draws from the bottom, so everything goes through the media from the top down, before it is forced out. I've had no back up of C02 in the top of the canister that I know of. You can hear the the canister adjusting when I first start the C02 and regulating the bps, but it becomes silent, as normal, after a few minutes.

Can one of you pump experts share your knowledge? :1zhelp:

thebrandon

I like fish
Jan 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Some people seem to think running CO2 through the canister could slowly eat away at any seals it comes in contact with faster.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
TwoTankAmin has been injecting co2 into his Eheim for years with no problems, according to him.

Mark

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store