Anyone have experience with rope fish or weather loaches?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ashers

AC Members
Jan 12, 2011
canada
Real Name
Ashley
I'm about to start up a new tank and I'm looking for ideas. I am deciding between rope fish or weather loaches ( i would have both but i don't think they would work together temp. wise). I was wondering what other peoples experiences with them are and what kind of set up they have with them (such as tank size and other occupants in the tank etc.)? I have done the research but its a bit dryer then hearing about someone's first hand experiences. And ideas are always welcome because I've had difficulty narrowing down my options to only a few types.

chickenlady

AC Members
Dec 28, 2009
Well. I have both a weather loach, and a rope fish, along with BN plecos, 7 angelfish, and some guppys in a 75 gal. tank. Temp is set on 78. No problems for 2 yrs now with the loach and rope fish. Angelfish joined them last year. Rope fish does like to hide in his cave with the BNs during the day, unless I feed them bloodworms. He comes out for those in the daytime. Otherwise, he comes out at night. They do jump though, I had 2, but one wanted to be dry, and jumped out. They don't have good eyesight, so they are timid with other fish, and will wait till it's all clear to come out. but mine will go after the sleepers on the bottom, lol. All my guppys have bite marks on their tail. My weather loach gets along fine with everyone, no problem at all. I think that if they are given a chance, weather loaches will fit into more tanks than people think. Weathers do dig up the plants though. And though now my rope fish will eat pellets, at first for months all he ate was ghost shrimp, and frozen bloodworms, along with baby guppys. So be prepared to feed them live foods at first.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
I have a weather loach in my 55, he's easily my favorite fish. These guys are wicked cool fish, and their antics are always entertaining. I keep mine with juvie BN's, tetras, danios, a syno and corys and haven't had any problems. Temp is set at 74-75. Mine will eat flakes, but really likes wafers.

IMO they prefer sand substrates over gravel, and prefer to be in schools. Any peaceful fish will be a good tankmate....

Sawyer

AC Members
Apr 24, 2009
I would recommend you get at least 3 dojos (weather loaches), they really like to be with other dojos and will be more active and fun to watch that way.

teigan666

AC Members
Sep 26, 2010
Peterborough Ontairo
Real Name
Teigan
ive got one dojo in a 35 gallon tank he has been with so many community tank and he has just been great with everything ive had him four years and he is still going strong

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store