everyone's favorite -- Coral ID

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

audifeesh

AC Members
Aug 18, 2010
I'll cut to the chase here - I was told this is some type of monti... it looks unlike any I've come across on here, in real life, or on google after some extensive searching.

any help on a DEFINITE ID would be awesome. I will say that the green and orange coloring is far more pronounced in person than in this picture.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Doesn't look like any monti I have ever seen. Looks more like a Chalice and should probably be placed on the sandbed (they don't like a lot of light... actually like shade/partial light)

audifeesh

AC Members
Aug 18, 2010
i was wondering if maybe it was some type of chalice as well at first... it only has the one large single eye though... don't chalices normally have numerous smaller "eyes" especially when this size?

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
ya, they normally do.. and that was what got me as well with yours.. but yours may be small now and when it grows it will just a few large eyes vs other chalices that have many tiny eyes/mouths.. There are a million varieties of "chalice" corals out there and if yours is from a wild colony it may be impossible to give it a real name like Mummy Eye.

As an example, this Chalice frag

audifeesh

AC Members
Aug 18, 2010
i see. that looks way closer to what i have than anything else I've seen.

if this is the case where do you suggest I place it? medium light/maybe light shade and medium flow?

I don't have a ton of flow in the lower parts of my aquarium since my sand is so fine and kicks up so easily.

audifeesh

AC Members
Aug 18, 2010
actually, i just moved it (lights are off) and now that i've taken a better picture of it (forgive my iphone) I think it is a chalice. I can see what is probably some newer growth and probably some more eyes/mouths.

the new picture

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
Yup, no question, chalice, and there is a second "eye" on it as well. Low light and low-med flow is what they like. Most people put them on the sand or bottom of the rock work.

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
take it from the chalice guy.. thats a chalice :)

hope ya didnt pay to much for it but its a nice looking noname!

audifeesh

AC Members
Aug 18, 2010
well its good to know :D

i payed 10 bucks for the little guy. i like him, hope he grows well! i only got it for the beautiful coloring, and it's totally different from my other corals in appearance/growth pattern. The only other coral i've seen so far with this type of texture and color was a yuma, im not kidding when i say that the orange on this thing POPS in person. I absolutely love it.

this is good though, as it opens up that top spot for a small acro or digi frag or something of that sps branching sort... real estate is limited in my tank.

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
ten bucks is great! you do not have to tell me twice about the color of them. just wait till it gets used to it and really comes out!

i got quite an addition to my chalice collection coming in the next 2 weeks.. cannot wait

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store