DIY CO2 made easy

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
I've seen quite a few posts and questions concerning DIY CO2 setups and having issues. I'm not going to say that mine is bullet proof and your results may be different. I can say that so far, this one has never failed me and it lasts a good (4) weeks plus. This is monitored by use of drop checkers. So I thought I would post my write up out here in hopes that it may help people in the future. So here it is.

Do It Yourself CO2 Made Easy

Many hobbyists like to have natural plants in their aquariums. Depending on factors such as lighting and the types of plants you keep, you may need to add CO2 to your system. However, buying a pressurized setup can be a bit costly. In comes DIY (Do-It-Yourself). Even then, some people think that even this method is cumbersome. Well, here we are going to go from start to finish just to show how simple it really is.

Step I: Making the medium (a.k.a Jell-O)
............. Ingredients: 1 pk. Regular 6oz Jell-O. Flavor Optional.
.............................. 2 ½ cups boiling water
.............................. 1 ¾ - 2 cups pure cane sugar
.............................. ¼ cup uncooked rice (optional)

............. 1) In a large saucepan, fill with water and bring to a rolling boil.
............. 2) Empty (1) 6oz package of Jell-O in a large mixing bowl.
............. 3) When water is boiling, carefully measure out 2 ½ cups.
.............................. a. CAUTION: Contents will be very hot. Be Careful.
............. 4) Pour water in bowl with Jell-O and mix thoroughly until well dissolved.
............. 5) Pour in sugar and thoroughly mix again until well dissolved.
............. 6) Once everything has been dissolved, pour contents in a flat Tupperware container.

............. 7) Cover and place in refrigerator.
* Optional Step *
After about two hours in the fridge, the Jell-O should be starting to set. Test with a grain of rice.
- If it sinks to the bottom, it's not firm enough. Place back in fridge and retest later.
- If rice sits on the top or sinks slightly, it should be good enough. Make sure however that Jell-O is still in a liquid state.
- Sprikle 1/8 cup of uncooked rice over the Jell-O. Using a spoon handle or similiar, gently stir the rice into the Jell-O. It should be free floating within the Jell-O
- Place back in fridge to finish setting up.

Step II: Making the Reactor
............. While the Jell-O is setting up, let’s make the reactor vessels.

............. Materials: 1 64oz Juice bottle (Ocean Spray seems to be best)
........................... 1 20oz Gatorade bottle
........................... 4’ CO2 tubing
........................... GE Silicone I caulk (optional but recommended)
............. Tools:..... Cordless drill w/ bits
........................... Scissors
........................... Case Knife
........................... Needle Nose Pliers
........................... Toothpick
........................... Giant Peep Assistant (optional)

............. 1) Start by thoroughly cleaning both bottles with hot water.
............. 2) Remove lids. Drill a 3/16 hole directly in the center of the juice bottle lid. Drill two holes in the smaller water bottle lid.

............. * NOTE * For best results, start with a small drill bit to create a pilot hole. Then using other bits, work your way up to 3/16. The 3/16 size is a fraction smaller than the diameter of the tubing and will provide for a tight fit.
............. 3) Using the case knife, carefully trim any shavings left by the drill bit.
............. 4) Measure about 2’ of tubing.
............. 5) Using scissors cut one end of the tube at an angle.

............. 6) Push the angled end through the top of the cap.
............. 7) Using the pliers, grab the end and carefully pull the tubing the rest of the way through the cap.

............. 8) Cut off the angled end to make a flat cut.
............. 9) Slowly pull tubing out of cap until about ¼” remains in the cap.
............. 10) Repeat steps 5-8 with the opposite end of the tubing into one hole of the water bottle cap.
............. 11) Test fit tubing in water bottle and adjust length if needed. There should be a bend in the tubing.

............. 12) Using the remaining length of tubing, repeat steps 5-9 using the second hole on the water bottle cap.

............. 13) Caulk around all three pieces of tubing on the inside of the caps using GE Silicone I caulk only. This is an optional step as the seal around the tubing will be sufficient with the 3/16” hole depending on how you diffuse the gas. I didn’t do this at first until I switched to a glass diffuser, which resulted in higher pressure build up. In one setup, I discovered a leak in the separator bottle so I added the silicone. Caulk around the tubes on the top side as well.
............. 14) Use the toothpick to spread the caulk completely around the tubing to ensure the entire area is covered.

............. 15) Set caps aside and let silicone cure at least 24hrs.

Step III: Time to make gas
............. Now that our Jell-O has set and our reactor vessels have been made, it is time to start making gas… CO2.

............. Ingredients: ½ tsp. Bakers or Brewer’s Yeast divided (¼ tsp. for initial setup / ¼ tsp. to add later)
.............................. 1 tsp. Sugar
.............................. 1 cup hot water
.............................. ¼ tsp. Baking soda
.............................. Air stone (diffuser)
.............................. * NOTE * use a limewood airstone or for best results, use a glass bell or nano diffuser
.............................. * NOTE * I only use Brewers yeast at the moment as I have found it lasts longer than either Fleischman's or Red Star baking yeast. Again, results may vary.

............. 1) Activate the yeast. In 1 cup hot water, dissolve 1 tsp sugar. Stir thoroughly.
............. 2) While water is still spinning from step 1 (tornado effect as I like to call it), carefully pour in ¼ tsp. of yeast. This will help in prevent clumping.

............. “snow globe” effect shows the yeast activating:

............. 3) While this is activating (appox. 15 minutes), cut Jell-O in small cubes. The small cubes allow for more surface action for the yeast.
............. 4) Add the cubes to the large bottle.
* Optional Step *
- Using the remaining 1/8 cup of uncooked rice, layer it between the Jell-O. Do this by adding a few cubes of Jell-O to the bottle and then sprinkle a small amount of rice on top. Repeat this process until all rice and Jell-O has been added to the bottle

............. 5) After yeast has activated (again allow approx. 15 minutes), add 2 cups hot water to Jell-O bottle.
............. 6) Pour yeast mixture into bottle.

............. 7) Add ¼ tsp Baking Soda.
............. 8) Using hot water, fill bottle until you have approx. 2” free space from the lid.
............. 9) Add remaining ¼ tsp yeast.
............. 10) Fill seperator bottle with water about 3/4 full. Water should be over the end of the curved tubing. This will enable you to see and count the bubbles.
............. 11) Cap both bottles tightly. Remember to allow for a “curve” in the separator bottle.

............. 12) Within hours, you will start to see generation of CO2.

That’s all it takes. Now go grow beautiful and healthy plants.

* EDIT *

This write up is a little old now as in the pictures you see a standard water bottle being used for the seperator bottle and a limewood airstone for the diffuser. Both of these have since been replaced with the Gatorade bottle and glass diffusers respectively. I just haven't taken updated pictures to show those.

LiveMermaid07

Bloody Mary. As in, hand me one.
Jul 7, 2009
Lost & Confused
Real Name
Can't Remember...
"Giant Peep Assistant (optional)"

:rofl:

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
"Giant Peep Assistant (optional)"

:rofl:
Couldn't have done it without him. ;)

Any thoughts ideas on what the jello adds vs the standard "sugar only" method?
The jell-o holds the sugar. As it slowly dissolves, it releases more sugars to the yeast for a more controlled and stable mix. Adds to the life of the mix.

br553

AC Members
Sep 27, 2006
Very interesting. I think I will try this when I get ready to set up CO2 again.

Lijah

AC Members
Apr 1, 2011
London, UK
one question ... putting all this extra CO2 in ... can this be bad for fish? Is there only so much 'gases' that the water can hold, and will this reduce the O2:CO2 ratio in a bad way?

or if you have water movement 'and' CO2 injection like this is it enuogh for both fish and plants?

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
It's hard to gas your fishies with DIY CO2. It can affect some inverts though. I have actually turned my drop checkers yellow a few times in my 10g tanks. I do also run an air stone for a spell during the evening hours which helps gas off the CO2 at night and provide surface aggitation to break up any biofilm that develops.

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
Sounds awesome, I've been planning on getting a DIY going and planting my tank and I just might give this a shot. One question, whats the rice for?

sailedNJ

marine biologist & architect
Jan 9, 2011
New Jersey, USA
Real Name
Art Vandelay
Sounds awesome, I've been planning on getting a DIY going and planting my tank and I just might give this a shot. One question, whats the rice for?
The rice will eventually start breaking down into sugar & continue to feed the yeast. The JELL-O & the rice are both about continually feeding a steady "stream" of sugar to the yeast in the CO2 mixture so that the CO2 gas it produces remains consistent as opposed to a plain sugar, yeast, & water mixture which starts out strong but then drastically starts to "fizzle out".

I started using this method of DIY CO2 after the OP (James0816) suggested it to me some months back SEE LINK http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?243091-diy-co2-help/page3 . I've got to say that it works well & the bit of extra time it takes to make is well worth the extended life you get out of your CO2 mixture (about 4+ weeks). I follow James0816's instructions pretty much step by step, only difference is that instead of setting the JELL-O in a Tupperware container & cutting it into cubes I just let the JELL-O partially set right in the bottle I use for my CO2 mixture. I then toss in the rice into the bottle when I see that the JELL-O is "somewhat firm" but not completely set, cap up the bottle & shake it around vigorously (this leaves the rices grains suspended in the partially set JELL-O) & then I put the bottle back in the fridge to allow it to completely set. BUT that's just how I do it, either way works fine.

This is a great write up by James0816 & I really appreciate that he shared his method with me when I was still using the old plain sugar, yeast, & water mixture. IMHO since I started using this method I see no reason for me to go back to NOT using JELL-O.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store