Baby apple snail + Future baby shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Optimus

AC Members
Aug 23, 2010
I have never actually browsed this section properly and it seems have missed out on a lot of useful info.

I found a small baby apple snail in my aquarium? The mother has never laid eggs or even had the required room/gap between water surface and aquarium lid so I'm really curious as to your thoughts and theories as to how a singular apple snail was hatched. Also I have some Juli cory cats, will the snail be safe or should I move it to another tank?

I also added some tiger and bee shrimp. I found the tiger is carry eggs and am wondering what's the best way to insure the shrimplets survive. I have a netted breeding box if I move the pregnant shrimp to that box will she be ok or will the stress cause her to miscarry.

Finally, I read MsJ's sticky and realized that the bee could breed with the tiger female. Although there is another tiger shrimp in the aquarium how likely is it that the shrimplets will be hybrdized?

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
Here is an amazing site that can give you almost anything you need to know about apple snails. http://www.applesnail.net/ Good luck with your shrimp. I LOVE my shrimp and they are so much fun.

MacMyers

AC Members
Sep 14, 2010
Palm Harbor, FL
Real Name
Mac Myers
Typically a single comes in on a plant.
Your shrimplets should be fine left with the adults. Make sure you have a sponge prefilter on your filter intake.

MacMyers

AC Members
Sep 14, 2010
Palm Harbor, FL
Real Name
Mac Myers
Typically a single comes in on a plant.
Your shrimplets should be fine left with the adults. Make sure you have a sponge prefilter on your filter intake.

Optimus

AC Members
Aug 23, 2010
I haven't bought a new plant in about 4 months. I'm thinking about Crinum natans but that's another thing. I checked it out, it has the lip on it's foot so I'm sure it's an apple snail not a random stow away.

Sponge over filter? I have a ehiem 2215 external can someone explain what you mean by sponge over filter. Obviously it sounds quite self explanatory but seeing as I've never tried...

Is there something I should buy?

Optimus

AC Members
Aug 23, 2010
I'm thinking about, well actually I'm going to set up a shrimp tank on Saturday or Sunday. I'm going to add clay rings, clay pot, giant hygro, and some java moss. I have a sponge filter with the flow regulated by a tap in the airline. Is there anything else I should consider?

j0onahra3

AC Members
Nov 19, 2010
Columbia, MO
the only thing i can think of is make sure your water parameters are stable. o__o
but that's already a given. haha so maybe u can add those bamboo pvc pipe looking things where your shrimp can release their eggs in?
I'm not really sure, but that's what I read in some website.
I'm also trying to breed some shrimps myself : P

MacMyers

AC Members
Sep 14, 2010
Palm Harbor, FL
Real Name
Mac Myers
You can also buy Sponge prefilters etc. cheap on Ebay. I like the Fluval Edge prefilters for most small to medium HOB's and the internal sponge that comes with a Zoomed 501. I think it's a turtle filter. You just have to widen the hole for some filters.
You'll find lots of types on Ebay.. even flat ones that you can wrap around weird internal filter intakes. etc.
Added bonus is that the sponge prefilter works to add a lot more biochemical filtration. Plus you interchange filter and Prefilter cleanings to help maintain bio filtration

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store