Blood Parrot Terror!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishfood420

AC Members
Jan 26, 2009
IMG_0810.JPGIMG_0809.JPGIMG_0811.JPG

This is the lovely Frank. She has created more turmoil in this 120gal. tank than an earthquake. She makes it diffucilut to feed the other fish (ones she has not eaten or killed yet). She loves to try and bite my fingers while im cleaning HER tank. She will lay eggs and take one half of the tank for herself almost every month for the last 4 months now. I have another tank all the survivors will be moving to shortly but, her tank will pretty lonely. I was wondering if any one knows how to sex these Blood Parrots, in hopes of finding a potential mate. Also, can any other fish share a habitat with this beautiful monster?

IMG_0810.JPG IMG_0809.JPG IMG_0811.JPG

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
Weird. Inherited a couple of blood parents with a tank I bought off of CL a long time ago. They were so funny I couldn't bring myself to rehome them so they live in a 75 gallon with juvie malawi cichlids (they live in a fry grow out tank). They share a pot, never exhibited any spawning behavior whatsoever, and they're incredibly peaceful. I can't imagine these goofy little fish acting aggressive. When I put a net in to chase fry, they usually swim IN the net. I can pick them up with my hands to move them because they don't swim away from me. Yours must be incredibly aggressive because she's laying eggs. I have no idea how to tell male or female, and I've also heard they can be infertile. Good luck with your monster!

fishfood420

AC Members
Jan 26, 2009
Yeah, shes a beast. She was fine when she was younger and smaller, but almost 2 years later shes outta control. I love her though, so much personality.

cryeth_the_raven

fumbling towards ecstasy
Feb 10, 2009
CT
Real Name
Trev
no body has any love for the crossbreeds :shakehead:
I do. And as it is with cross-bred fish... you never know just what kind of bp you're going to have. I've seen shy ones, sweet ones, and downright mean ones. You have a mean one lol. Frank is a beautiful fish btw- nice tank. But they are so worth their temper tantrums aren't they? Too cute to not love.

BadFishPa

AC Members
Sep 19, 2008
I have had just downright mean ones.. Little fry attack my hand pecking and smacking into it,sooo funny how terrifying mine tryed to be

fishipoo

fishmamma
May 6, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Real Name
ask me..
My female can be the same way, but not all the time.. When I saw the pic, I noticed she was a little faded and to me that indicates not to put my hand into the tank. And the fading also tells me that my male and female are mating or she has already layed eggs somewhere. When I first got the couple (also inherited) they were both little boogers. But now, except for those few times.. they are both very calm and silly.. she'll eat straight from my fingers.. let me pet her.. if you can pet a fish.. They are great fish... Mine are actually in a tank with a Black Spotted eel 1', and two mbuna africans. but these guys will be coming out soon (mbuna).. but not due to the BP's.. cause really they don't bother anyone..

tonergirl

AC Members
Sep 22, 2008
I just bought a "mated" pair a week ago. I watched them in the store, for 5 or 10 minutes and these two were definitely together! He, I'm assuming the male, would chase the other BP away, if any of them came close to her. He didn't even really look like a BP at all because he didn't have the pronounced beak. I don't even know if HE is the male,LOL. I'll try to get some pics on my cellphone. Is it the female that cleans out the cave(flower pot) or the male? Sometimes he chases her into it and sometimes she chases him but not aggressively, just kind of forcefully guiding, LOL. I had read that they were all sterile? If they lay eggs do they both take care of them, or is one shooed away? As you can tell I don't know a lot about them but I do know that they are sooo cute and I just adore their personalities. If anyone could suggest any really good articles on these guys I would so appreciate it!! I don't understand the stigma attached to these fish. Is it because they're not purebred? Sorry for the hijack fishfood!!

Jill-O

All American Girl (all grown up)
She's a pretty girl!!! Our BP's are some of our favorite fish

fishfood420

AC Members
Jan 26, 2009
Hey, its all good tonergirl. I would love to get some good links to some in depth info on the blood parrots too. I have read that they are usually sterile though. Hopefully you have an exception on your hands. Can't find anything on sexing them either. As for their bad rap, i dont get it either. Something about how its not natural..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store