"skunk" shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Gypsy125

AC Members
Jun 11, 2010
Santa Rosa, CA
Do any of you have experience with "skunk" shrimp? I believe they are also called Malaya shrimp. I sort of accidentally got one from a LFS (it was mixed in with RCS) and am not sure what to do with it. Should I try to order more from the LFS? It looks really cool - basically black with a white stripe on its back and one horizontal white stripe.

MacMyers

AC Members
Sep 14, 2010
Palm Harbor, FL
Real Name
Mac Myers

Gypsy125

AC Members
Jun 11, 2010
Santa Rosa, CA
Yup, looks like a Malaya. I'm gonna try to see if I can get more, including a male (mine is a female), and get them to breed. I seem to have a "green thumb" with shrimp - my RCS are breeding like rabbits in a 1.5 gal planted nano vase with no heater or filter, the malawas have taken over my 29 gal, and even the blue pearls are breeding in there as well (not nearly as fast as the malawas though). It would be cool to try to breed a shrimp with a larval stage.

MacMyers

AC Members
Sep 14, 2010
Palm Harbor, FL
Real Name
Mac Myers
Heh.... practice with the animals you have. More exotic animals can be heartbreaking.

I've tried Larval stage shrimp. Failed Miserably.

Good Luck and have fun!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store