Looking for some help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RESCUEK9

Registered Member
Feb 5, 2011
I have a 55 gal. tank thats been up and running for 4 years, 18 months ago I took it down from my sisters hous and moved it to my house. I took 90% of the water with me, a damsel fish a handful of crabs and 120lbs of live rock. I moved it all in large new coolers and set it all back up at my house. After letting the tank run for 4 months I put in 15 snails,12 hermit crabs and a cleaner shrimp. Two months later I put 3 fish in a marron clown, a yellow angel, and a dimond goby. In two days the goby was dead. The water check out with in normal limits. I didnt bring in any new fish for a year I did my water changes and the remaining fish were fine. Friday I put a Flame angel and a watchmen goby, today the goby was dead I took it back to the LFS along with a water sample. My water is fine I started talking about my goby issue and was told it was a substrate Im using the fine crushed coral he told me the goby was choking on it that it was to course. what do you guys think? Help please Im not going to get another one if its going to die.

louise01

AC Members
Nov 4, 2010
Northside Brisbane
Real Name
Louise.... hard to guess right?
I'm going with the lfs on this one... Your levels you say are fine so thats out. You don't have any really aggressive fish and in a tank that size (with only a couple fish), I can't see any fighting happening. Was the goby too big to be bothered by the hermit crabs?

I use a sand substrate as I have heard of fish choking on crushed coral that is too corse... Personally I'd get rid of the crushed coral and opt for sand. Either that or be VERY mindful of the fish you put in that tank.

RESCUEK9

Registered Member
Feb 5, 2011
Thanks for the input I want a goby but I wont get another until I get changed out to sand. Im not going to lose fish when I can help it. Thanks again

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Interesting, never heard that before but I suppose it could be possible. The two gobies could also have been in poor health before you added them as well and it may just be a coincidence that both of your losses have been gobies. Hope the substrate change helps. I would change the substarte out gradually though (maybe in thirds or less at a time).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store