55g cichlid tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sheloudre

AC Members
Jun 3, 2007
BC Canada
So far, we had a few contrasting views from friends on our cichlid tank. We have 2 yellow labs, and 4 jewels. I am aware that they are both african, but from different areas. Also have a 8 in sailfin pleco (gibbiceps i think) in there with them. All the cichlids were bought at the same time, all about an inch in length. We started out with a bristlenose pleco - full grown - in with them, but they picked on it, instead of each other, so we changed him out. Other than the `my area charges` we haven`t had any real issues with them. We were wondering about adding others, and if so, what. We would like a little more color. The yellow labs are about 2-3 inches now, the jewels slightly bigger. They don`t bother the big pleco. Ideas and suggestions welcome. Thanks!

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
If you are talking Jewel Cichlids they are NOT africans they are S. American.

P40790.jpg
South American Jewel Cichlid

P40790.jpg

sheloudre

AC Members
Jun 3, 2007
BC Canada
yes that`s them. Sorry, i thought they were african too, my mistake. But, yes that`s the other cichlid i have. So far, everyone getting along fine, but we`ve been warned they can be nasty. Time will tell. I believe the 4 jewels we have are all females. The yellow labs - we were told - are males.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Jewel cichlids are not from south american they are an african riverine species. Labs are from lake Malawi which is one of the rift lakes. Jewels are often mixed up with South American cichlids because they like similar water conditions and have similar behaviors.

Now the problem with mixing these 2 species are usually due to different water parameters, different diets and different behaviors. Jewels are very difficult to sex and if a pair forms they are usually deadly to other inhabitants.

Labs are one of the more mild malawi mbuna so things can work out. If you want to keep the jewels (which can work sometimes) then I ould suggest more mild mannered mbuna to go along with them. First is Ps acei, a beautiful mbuna that is purple with yellow fins. Another good option is rusty cichlids(Iodotropheus sprengerae). As their name suggests they are more rust colored with a nice purple sheen. Another option that is slightly more risky, because the species is more aggressive, is Cynotilapia afra. There are many MANY variations on this species and males are just stunning. Cynotilapia sp "hara" is a great option. The females are a dark purple/grey blue while the males are white blue with black stripes.

I would get at most 2 more species from that list. Be sure to arrange the rock work when you add the new fish to help cut down on fighting when they are added.

sheloudre

AC Members
Jun 3, 2007
BC Canada
i had thought the jewels were african, and knew they originated in river areas. Then someone on another site said they were south american, sorry for the mis-info. Anyways, so they are all african, just different areas. ok - the rusty and purple colored ones sound interesting, as i would like to add more color to the tank. As to the more agressive ones, i will leave those for others to have. Knowing the jewels might get that way, is bad enough. Another reason why i am sorta glad they are all female and not pairs. As to getting more, i would prefer not to have to deal with babies just yet, so should i stick with males or will that make fighting worse? I know that others from the same area as the yellows, such as the orange ones, will interbreed. Am hesitating on females for this reason. I was contemplating the orange, white, or blue ones from that area. Can't recall exact names right now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store