Odd/Interesting angel behavior

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lerm

AC Members
Feb 2, 2011
In one of my tanks i have a beautiful very large angel fish also in the tank i have 3 rosy danio and 3 black neons among other fish. recently the local pet store got in some rummynose tetras and i had to have them so i picked up 5. after the first night there was only 4 in the tank, figured one had jumped out although i couldnt find it on the floor i just figured the cat or dog got it. this has happened before so i thought nothing of it. after the second night there was three swimming around and half of one on the bottom of the tank. so being down to three and really loving these rummy nose i went back to the pet store and bought the last 3 they had and put them in the tank. same story, after the first few nights i was back down to three. very ticked off at my angel because i love these tetras i find it weird that he would eat a few but has left 3 rummynoses uneaten. i was wondering why he has not eaten any of the 3 rosy danios or the 3 black neons witch they have been all in the tank for a long time and the same size as the rummynose. so a week goes by and the pet store gets in a new shipment and there is 6 rummynose in the tank so i buy all six and put them in the tank. now theres 9 rummynose in the tank and after 4 nights i was back down to 3. so now a month has gone by since ive bought any new rummynose and im not going to but the 3 are still in there. seems like the angel wont let there be a school of fish bigger then 3. just something i thought i would share with you all. im sort of thinking of getting a few more rosy danios and seeing if they make it or if the angel will eat a few and bring that school back down to 3

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
They got too close to the angel and he said *munch* :( I wouldn't risk it. He might even go after the existing fish in that tank as well.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Angels are opportunistic feeders.. they will try to eat anything they think they can fit in their mouths..I tried moving some 1"+ baby BN's into a tank with small angels(Quarter sized) as there was a bloom of algae on the glass making perfect feeding for baby BN's.. they made short work of the BN's..I only added 2 but will not add any more until the BN's are around 2 " or more

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store