need a little help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mustang229

AC Members
Feb 22, 2011
alright i just bought a JD chchlid and a African chchlid today from petco(they are both babies about 2-3in long as of now),my tank has been cycled and it is a 30gal tank(yes iam aware the JD becomes much larger) and next week iam getting a 55Gal tank from a friend of mine to put them both in there or just the JD?(Btw i also have a gold fish who is healthy as all can be in the tank with the 2 chchlids)now my question is this...the african chchlid occasionally goes after the JD like chasing him and at times nipping at him and the JD does nothing back such as chasing of nipping at him he just swims away from the african chchlid BUT neither of the chchlids do anything to the gold fish,is this normal? why is the african doing this? should i return the african? i dont know what to do? help!

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
That is because the african cichlid and the JD are not compatible, especially in such a small tank. Return the african, goldie needs to be in a different tank, and move the JD to the 55g asap.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Africans although smaller have way more of an attitude problem. Also despite them being the same size you got a more mature African with a JD. Some africans are just out right nasty. Thats why there either kept solo or kept in over stocked african tanks to spread out the agression. JD's are kinda mellow and laid back when small there tudes come in later on. The only reason why they don't mess with the goldfish is because there focused on each other and the goldfish is to big to be considered a meal. I would not house them together in the new tank. SA/CA cichlids shouldn't be mixed with Africans IMO.

fish-n-chips

AC Members
Oct 29, 2008
N.E. WI
Real Name
C.J.
Do you know what kind of African? It is not really advised to mix old world and new. The goldfish is a cold/temperate water species and should be in a tank kept at a much lower temperature than your tropicals. Could you post pics of your fish?
If it is a rift lake cichlid, they have different requirements(hardness of water,ph, different dietary need) and they can be very aggressive.

fish-n-chips

AC Members
Oct 29, 2008
N.E. WI
Real Name
C.J.
Return it.

mustang229

AC Members
Feb 22, 2011
will do first thing in the morning, now can i put another JD in with this JD i have in there now?(btw iam getting a 55Gal tank next week,and starting to cycle it,than removing the JD from the 30 gal into the 55 once i know that water is safe enough for him)

mustang229

AC Members
Feb 22, 2011
another thing,should i put the african in a separate tank for now untill the morning?..i have a 1gal tank but has no filter or heater

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store