changed my mind....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mustang229

AC Members
Feb 22, 2011
as i said in my other thread i will return the african chchlid, im not going to do that anymore im just going to return the JD tomorrow morning and get a few more african chchlids to go along with the other one. think this is a good idea or bad?

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
Bad idea in just a 30g. I'd wait until you get the 55g and research african cichlids while you're waiting for the 55g. That way you know what you are getting into. They are aggressive, and you'll want to make sure you stock properly. Mbuna should be with mbuna (your blue fish looks like a Metriaclima callainos).

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
A 55 gallon for africans would be a good choice, but they are aggressive. You need quite a few of them, like 8+, to distribute this aggression. This means that you need to carefully choose which africans you get - some get 12", others stay around 3-4". Go with smaller ones. You'll need LOTS of rocks for them to establish territories. This also means you'll need very good filtration on the tank to handle the bioload and frequent water changes are must.
IMO the zebras are not a good choice. They're one of the most aggressive and there are smaller options out there. 3-4 is not a good number. You'd probably need at least 6. Don't do this in a 30gal though. Instead of the zebras, I'd recommend something like yellow labs, demasoni, pseudotropheus saulosi.... But the fish you have currently would probably beat them to death. Hope this helps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store